SAXON GERMANS

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

mel

SAXON GERMANS

Post by mel »

I'AM LOOKING FOR MY WIFE'S FAMILY WHO WERE SAXON VOLKSDEUTSCHE FROM ROMANIA. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS.
I HAVE FOUR THAT FOUGHT FOR GERMANY IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

MEL
drapeau noir

Post by drapeau noir »

Hi There,

Romanian's Volksdeutschen mainly came from Transilvania's 7 burgs (Siebenburgen): the main town was Schassburg, Dracula's birth place.
A very big number of those soldiers were enlisted into Prinz Eugen but even in other units like Karstjager.

Cheers
T
dragos03
Supporter

Post by dragos03 »

Some of them fought in the German army and the SS (mostly in the Prinz Eugen and Florian Geyer divisions I think).

Others chose to serve in the Romanian army, even some of the generals (like Hugo Schwab, who commanded the Romanian Mountain Corps at some point in the war and commited suicide in August 1944 to avoid being captured by the Soviets).

It must be said that the Saxons have always had a quite good relationship with the Romanian majority.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

It must be said that the Saxons have always had a quite good relationship with the Romanian majority
until of course they all got booted out by the Communists and lost everything.
dragos03
Supporter

Post by dragos03 »

Only a small number were "booted" in the period right after ww2. Most of them left later because they wanted to, for a better life in Germany. Their ethnic origin helped them escape the miserable fate of the Romanians under communism.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
My wife's family also comes from ethnic German stock in Romania. They however, came from the Romanian Banat and not Transylvania (although you wouldn't know it when she gets mad at my book bill.) There was a considerable ethnic German presence in the Romanian Banat area, too. Mostly former Austro-Hungarian nationals.

Regards,

Helmut
mel

seibenburgen

Post by mel »

Yes some of the people did have it bad after the war. from what i have heard the saxons in romania had it very bad . this came from some people in the family that was traped there after the war. they left there about 10 years ago.
mel
teddy

Re: SAXON GERMANS

Post by teddy »

Try doing a 411.ca or a 411.com search in the Canadian and American telephone directories. You might be surprised at how many relatives made to North American shores. Would you like to post the family names you are searching for?
mel

Re: SAXON GERMANS

Post by mel »

teddy,
the names i'am looking for are : ungar , breit , hugel. all from in the area of durles, durlos in romania.

mel
teddy

Re: Donau Schwaben

Post by teddy »

Helmut wrote:Servus,
My wife's family also comes from ethnic German stock in Romania. They however, came from the Romanian Banat and not Transylvania (although you wouldn't know it when she gets mad at my book bill.) There was a considerable ethnic German presence in the Romanian Banat area, too. Mostly former Austro-Hungarian nationals.

Regards,

Helmut

Helmut: it sounds like your wife's family was from Donau Schwaben stock.