Major Patrick. R. Reid

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

xausa
Supporter

Major Patrick. R. Reid

Post by xausa »

I'm almost sure that Mr. Reid has passed away but does anyone here know for sure?

In case someone doesn't know who he is/was..

"Patrick R. Reid (later Major) in the British Army, and noted non-fiction / historical author. A Nazi Prisoner of War, he was held captive at Colditz Castle. One of the "Laufen Six" Reid arrived at Colditz in November of 1940. Reid was one of the lucky few to successfully escape and return back to England.

On 14 October 1942, Reid along with Major Ronald B. Littledale, Lieutenant-Commander William E. Stephens, and Flight Lieutenant Howard D. Wardle escaped. They slipped through the camp kitchens into the German yard, into the Kommandatur cellar and down to a dry moat through the park. They split into two pairs. Reid and Wardle took four days to reach Switzerland, Littledale and Stephens took five.

His mémoires of his time in Colditz were published in the book Colditz: The Full Story London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1952. This book is the basis for the UK Television Series Colditz which ran from October, 1972 until April, 1974."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Reid

In any case, I shall raise a virtual toast for him.. To a brave & resourceful man who even in the most dire circumstances never gave up, here's to you Pat! :beer:
Jacky
Supporter

Re: Major Patrick. R. Reid

Post by Jacky »

Hi Xausa

Patrick Reid has sadly passed away - I think several years ago. According to my late father, who contacted him as part of his British Legion duties, he lived at Midhurst in Sussex. If I have my facts straight I think I answered the phone to him on occasions.

Jacky
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Major Patrick. R. Reid

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yes, died 22nd of May, 1990 aged 79.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds