Operation Roesselsprung

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sturm und drang

Operation Roesselsprung

Post by sturm und drang »

I'm looking for a book about Operation Roesselsprung.
Does anyone know a good book about this argument, with (if possible) veteran's account?
many thanks in advance
Vae victis!
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Which Knight's Move? The Tirpitz sortie or the raid on Tito.

If it's the former, then yes certainly, plenty of books on PQ17/Arctic convoys, e.g. David Irving's Destruction of Convoy PQ17.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Some books about the operation:

Adolf Kunzmann and Siegfried Milius: Fallschirmjäger der Waffen-SS im Bild.
Rolf Michaelis: Das SS-Fallschirmjäger-Bataillon 500/600.
Munoz, Anthonio J. Forgotten Legions: Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS.
Jerzy Woydyłło: Desant na Drwar. MON, a.a.O. 1965.
Massimiliano Afiero, SS - Fallschirmjäger. The Battalion Parachutists SS.
Charles Whiting: Hunters from the Skies.
James Lucas: Storming Eagles: German Airborne Forces in World War II.
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

This might be of interest for you...will be published by Schiffer

sturm und drang

Post by sturm und drang »

many thanks for replies.
WOW, VKUN :shock:
have you read this book?
Vae victis!
vkun
Supporter

Post by vkun »

No, just saw it as a pre-pub offer on Zinnfigur.com.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Regarding the above-mentioned books, I would recommend:

Fallschirmjäger der Waffen-SS im Bild (Milius/Kunzmann)

Good basic account of the raid by a former CO of the battalion, with photos by SS-KB Kunzmann, who was para-trained and jumped on Drvar. There are also photos by other SS-KB, as well as Drvar veteran Peter Renold. Milius came to SS-FJ-Btl 500 in June 1944 and was not present at the battle.

Das SS-Fallschirmjäger-Bataillon 500/600 (Rolf Michaelis)

This book has apparently been translated into English by Schiffer. However, none of the veteran accounts are attributed and there are some factual errors, which is par for the course with this author.

Forgotten Legions: Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS (Antonio J. Munoz)

Contains a well-written summary of the operation with references to veterans' recollections, which was also published in two issues of Sigrunen. Some of the veteran quotes, credited in the book, came from Die Deutschen Lastensegler-Verbände 1937-1945 (Motorbuch Verlag 1986).

Desant na Drwar. MON, a.a.O. 1965 (Jerzy Woydyłło)

Desant na Drvar is in Serbo-Croat and has not been translated. You might like to know that Yugoslav director Fadil Hadzic made a film of the same title in 1963. The production company was Avala Film, which still exists. They have a website: http://www.avalafilm.net/ This is apparently available in casette and DVD form but I haven't been able to get a copy yet. This vendor had none in stock but is expecting a new shipment soon: http://www.yu4you.com/items/en/dvd/item_349.html There was an earlier film in 1951.

SS-Fallschirmjäger. The Battalion Parachutists SS. (Massimiliano Afiero)

Waste of paper. An exercise in IP theft, breach of copyright and plagiarism.

Hunters from the Skies (Charles Whiting)

The book is a basic staple of any airborne forces library but doesn't contain much on Rösselsprung.

Storming Eagles: German Airborne Forces in World War II (James Lucas)

Ditto.

However, the best English language account I have read to date is by Lieutenant-Colonel Wayne D. Eyre, who was kind enough to send me a copy of the pamphlet as I am - slowly - putting together the source and photographic material for a book on SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 500 and SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600. Lt-Col Eyre's study of Rösselsprung was written as a military staff college analysis and can now be found on the internet: http://www.stormingmedia.us/04/0483/A048304.html

I haven't seen Branislav Radovic's booklet let but he told me that he had bought an album of photographs with a 10 page typewritten account of the battle, compiled by Luftwaffe Kriegsberichter Leutnant Dr. Heinz Schwitzke of Lw. Kriegsberichterzug 19. I remember the album offered by the London dealer Malcolm Fisher. The ten pages apparently contained extracts from reports by various KB on the ground and Brana said that he was going to publish them in English through Schiffer, with the photographs, numbering around thirty images if memory serves me correctly. The translation was done in England so it is bound to be alright and I would say that this publication is a must-have for anyone interested in this battle.

PK