Fire Brigades, The Panzer Division, 1943-1945

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Robert Edwards

Fire Brigades, The Panzer Division, 1943-1945

Post by Robert Edwards »

Hello, all!
Here's a shameless plug for our newest book, which I think most of you will find of interest.
Regards,
Bob Edwards
JJ Fedorowicz Publishing
http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/fire_brigades.htm

Fire Brigades

The Panzer Divisions, 1943-1945

Kamen Nevenkin

Hard cover, trade format (6”x9”), English text, 952 pages, 300+ detailed tables, exhaustive glossary and bibliography.

Fire Brigades, The Panzer Divisions 1943-1945 relates the full story of the Panzer Divisions from the turn of the tide against the Germans in 1943 to the bitter end in 1945. The author has compiled an unprecedented amount of detail on the 45 divisions designated or equipped as Panzer. All the active divisions from mid-1943 onwards, from the well known to the obscure, are comprehensively described—Army, SS and Luftwaffe. The topics covered: Combat history; organization of the various formations and units within the divisions;, monthly deliveries of armor; monthly condition reports; and attachments to higher formations. There is also a comprehensive, in-depth analysis of the development of the Panzer divisions and how their structure and role changed as the war situation deteriorated. The figures quoted are not those for a theoretical order of battle; these are the actual figures of troop and vehicle strengths, casualties, replacements, etc. This book is the definitive work on the subject and is an absolutely indispensible reference for the armored warfare enthusiast, military historian, wargamer and World War 2 researcher.

Check out the sample pages on the web site, see for yourself. We won’t belabor the point but, believe us, you will find no finer book in print on the topic. This will be considered the one-source document for anyone interested in the history and organization of late war German division-level armor formations.

Table of Contents (numbers in parentheses indicate total number of pages devoted to the formation):

Army and Luftwaffe: 1PD (23), 2PD (19), 3PD (22), 4PD (20), 5PD (20), 6PD (24), 7PD (26), 8PD (26), 9PD (23), 11PD (21), 12PD (22), 13PD (28 ), 14PD (21), 16PD (25), 17PD (25), 18PD (7), 19PD (19), 20PD (20), 21PD (19), 23PD (23), 24PD (20), 25PD (25), 26PD (18 ), 116PD (13), 232PD (3), Brandenburg (13), Clausewitz (6), FBD (9), FGD (9), FHH (10), GD (28 ), HG (32), Holstein (6), Jüterbog (7), Müncheberg (6), Norwegen (7), Panzer-Lehr (19), Schlesien (7).

Waffen-SS: LSSAH (23), DR (22), TK (18 ), Wiking (21), Hohenstaufen (17), Frundsberg (19), HJ (18 ).
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Thanks Bob,

Looks awesome. I've been dealing with Kamen recently. Smashing bloke. Looks like it's going to be a definitive work. Now to find the money to buy it...
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi! Kamen e-mailed me. I have to say that, having experienced his knowledge and help in the past, I am absolutely HAPPY at this event.

Again, from experience, without even reading the book, the Commissar assures you that, if it only represents 10% of his knowledge of the subject (he spent years prowling through the archives!) it is light years ahead of anything published in the past!

I'll certainly buy it and I think that we are all honored that he has been so helpful in the past!!! :D :D :D

Very Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I've also dealt with Kamen on a few occasions. His knowledge and his archives are incredible! Besides the German Panzer Divisions, he also has extensive information on armor in non-armored units (for example, the Prinz Eugen Division) and from other armies. I hope some of this other material gets published eventually, even if Panzer Divisions represent the most commercially viable aspect of his research.
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello

I was privileged to get a sneak preview of Kamen's work. By all means go for it, this is easily the book of the year and will set new standards.

Cheers
Hans
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Fire Brigades, The Panzer Division, 1943-1945

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Robert Edwards wrote:Table of Contents (numbers in parentheses indicate total number of pages devoted to the formation):

Army and Luftwaffe: 1PD (23), 2PD (19), 3PD (22), 4PD (20), 5PD (20), 6PD (24), 7PD (26), 8PD (26), 9PD (23), 11PD (21), 12PD (22), 13PD (28 ), 14PD (21), 16PD (25), 17PD (25), 18PD (7), 19PD (19), 20PD (20), 21PD (19), 23PD (23), 24PD (20), 25PD (25), 26PD (18 ), 116PD (13), 232PD (3), Brandenburg (13), Clausewitz (6), FBD (9), FGD (9), FHH (10), GD (28 ), HG (32), Holstein (6), Jüterbog (7), Müncheberg (6), Norwegen (7), Panzer-Lehr (19), Schlesien (7).

Waffen-SS: LSSAH (23), DR (22), TK (18 ), Wiking (21), Hohenstaufen (17), Frundsberg (19), HJ (18 ).
Well, Sid would be happy to see that most of the ink in this one is devoted to Heer armor rather than WSS!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

It will be for sure a great addition for those ones who can only use publicatios in english language, fianlly something else than the usual "pictoral histories" on Waffen-SS panzers :D :D :D

Keep up, Kamen!

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Bob,
I'm impressed by the quality of information on the sample pages. I only looked at the FHH data, as that's one of the lesser-known divisions, but I was perturbed by a fair number of typos. And more so when the last two pages of the samples were from GD, not FHH. I expect that it's already too late to get these fixed if y'all are expecting the book in a month. Too bad.

Jason
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Excellent effort!

I look forward to having this in my library!

Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Robert Edwards

Post by Robert Edwards »

Jason Long wrote:Bob,
I'm impressed by the quality of information on the sample pages. I only looked at the FHH data, as that's one of the lesser-known divisions, but I was perturbed by a fair number of typos. And more so when the last two pages of the samples were from GD, not FHH. I expect that it's already too late to get these fixed if y'all are expecting the book in a month. Too bad.

Jason
Jason and everyone else!
Sorry for the screw-up noted above. The mistake is mine, not the author's. The two pages referring to the condition reports for "GD" are, indeed, for "GD" (note page numbers). The "FHH" text ends on 657. I will change that on our web pages shortly.
With regard to the typo, what I posted was a working copy of the text. Mike Olive is the chief editor. I have since given him my corrections as has John. We hope to have captured most of the mistakes, although I'm sure we'll still have a few howlers, despite all efforts.
We do think it's a great book, though, and I'm sure most of the readers of this forum will not be disappointed with it.
Regards,
Bob Edwards
Robert Edwards

Post by Robert Edwards »

Jason Long wrote:Bob,

Jason
Jason and everyone else!
Sorry for the screw-up noted above. The mistake is mine, not the author's. The two pages referring to the condition reports for "GD" are, indeed, for "GD" (note page numbers). The "FHH" text ends on 657. I will change that on our web pages shortly.
With regard to the typo, what I posted was a working copy of the text. Mike Olive is the chief editor. I have since given him my corrections as has John. We hope to have captured most of the mistakes, although I'm sure we'll still have a few howlers, despite all efforts.
We do think it's a great book, though, and I'm sure most of the readers of this forum will not be disappointed with it.
Regards,
Bob Edwards
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Bob,
I'm just glad that the typos can be caught in before publication. Otherwise it looks fabulous! I can't wait.

Jason
Commissar D, the Evil

I pre-ordered my copy yesterday! I can't wait to get it!

Again, having seen Kamen's work both on the Board and in our own communications, my suspicions are that this book will become a landmark and a future classic text on the Panzer Divisions in 1943-1945.

Best,
David
Dubliner
Supporter

Post by Dubliner »

I had to pre-order this book today too, in part as payment for the all the questions that Kamen has answered for me.
Commissar D, the Evil

had to pre-order this book today too, in part as payment for the all the questions that Kamen has answered for me.
Dubliner, I feel the same way--Kamen helped me without even the promise of a reward, so why should I not buy his book, without feeling I was a totally ungrateful bastard??? :shock:

If some one ever asked me "what is honor all about", I would have to say that supporting a true friend's intellectual endeavors is the noblest duty an honest man could ever undertake! :D :D :D

Very Best,
David