German-ish looking uniform in the new Indiana Jones?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Ogiwan

German-ish looking uniform in the new Indiana Jones?

Post by Ogiwan »

Greetings, all. I watched the trailer for the new Indiana Jones, and the uniform worn by Cate Blanchett, to me, looks to be strongly in the style of a German WWII uniform, if not actually modeled on one. I took a rough look, and to me, it looks like a Luftwaffe uniform; however, I have a friend who insists that there are no Nazis in the new one (which I think is heresy, as the near-perpetual nemesis of Dr. Jones is Nazis.) Needless to say, I want to prove my friend wrong, so I come to perhaps the best repository of knowledge on things German military that I know of.

These are screenshots from the trailer. It is available from the official site, and pardon the poor quality.

The first one:

The second one:

The vehicle on the left looks kinda like a German version of the Jeep to me (but it doesn't look like a Kubelwagon):

So, what do you all think? Imagination, "based on", or actuality?
Gold for the craftsman,
Silver for the maid.
Copper for the craftsman,
cunning at his trade

"Good!" said the Baron,
Sitting in his hall
"but Iron, Cold Iron,
is master of them all"
-Kipling
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

The bad guys in the new film are Soviets. There are no Germans in it as far as my sources have indicated. The uniforms look like cold war or like work uniforms to me.
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

This new episode takes place 18 years after the last one. If Spielberg is consistent with chronology, now there shouldn't be Nazis any more (well, unless the action takes place in Bolivia or Argentina....)
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Doctor Jones seems to have aged....despite the fact he's now supposed to be immortal, having drunk from the Holy Grail. I love a plotline with a glaring hole in it...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Ogiwan

Post by Ogiwan »

I thought the old knight guy stated that the immortality (and the Grail) wouldn't last/couldn't be taken past the Great Seal in the first chamber?

As for Nazis, well, the reason I was convinced that the new one would have Nazis in it would be:
1.) Dr. Jones' arch-nemisis. I mean, of the 3 movies, two had Nazis in them. They were also the two good ones.
2.) Nazis did all sorts of wierd things, and as phylo alluded, they were persistant. A near-permanent Nazi threat is a staple of Pulp.
3.) Similar to 3, Nazis are the best bad guys for pulp.
Gold for the craftsman,
Silver for the maid.
Copper for the craftsman,
cunning at his trade

"Good!" said the Baron,
Sitting in his hall
"but Iron, Cold Iron,
is master of them all"
-Kipling
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

No, just the Grail. Or else Doctor Jones Senior would have started dying AGAIN when he left the chamber? :wink: Ah, the torturous paths of movie (non-)logic...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

I have to disagree with you Phylo

The knight says:

KNIGHT
You must choose.
(beat)
But choose wisely. For as the
True Grail will bring you life-
the False Grail will take it from
you.

[...]

KNIGHT
You have chosen wisely. But the
Grail cannot pass beyond the
Great Seal. That is the boundary
and the price of immortality.
souce: http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/Indiana3.txt

I see no problem in it healing the old jones, while its immortality is removed as soon as you pass the great seal. The grail has a dual purpose: healing and immortality.

The healing is instant while the immortality expires as soon as you leave the champer.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...which WOULD explain why the old f@rt spent the next 800 years in the chamber!