Newspaper article about Hitler in WWI

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Uli, there are actually a number of very well-recorded instances of Hitler drinking - champagne at Marshal Mannerheim's birthday reception....with surviving pictures of him with a glass in his hand; the "garden party" at the Goebbels' the night of the Reichstag Fire being another. He didn't drink a lot, admittedly, but there are also records of his flat-living early Party days in Munich when he was the worse for wear. He couldn't handle it and didn't do it - not the same as being morally inclined that way...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Phylo,

I've never heard anything regarding Geli about to go public, although I have heard that she maybe didn't kill herself. IMO, the reason's seem to point towards her being unhappy in her relationship with Hitler, backed up by her engaging another man.

Surely this points to the reason for the "suicide as being she knew she had no other way out" or "murder, because she was not going to return AH's affections."

Guess none of us can ever know the real truth, I reckon the facts speak volumes though.

Cheers,
Jock
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

it's been ages since I covered this, but IIRC she was on the point of being hospitallized for depression. She wouldn't have "gone public" but circumstances would have dragged it "out there"...they always do.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

phylo_roadking wrote:Uli, there are actually a number of very well-recorded instances of Hitler drinking - champagne at Marshal Mannerheim's birthday reception....with surviving pictures of him with a glass in his hand; the "garden party" at the Goebbels' the night of the Reichstag Fire being another. He didn't drink a lot, admittedly, but there are also records of his flat-living early Party days in Munich when he was the worse for wear. He couldn't handle it and didn't do it - not the same as being morally inclined that way...
Thanks, phylo:

You might be correct, here. I was wrong regarding his reputed veganism, too. Here are a couple of links I found interesting. I don't usually rely on Wikipedia, but this one's probably worth noting:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/vegetaria ... olf_Hitler

This one includes Schirach's memories:

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/schirach.htm

Other such links suggest that Hitler was a closet "alcholic" who relied on barbituates for emotional assistance.
Erwin Leibold 26.7.1942
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well, regarding the "lunch of lettuce in a light dressing and a Vichy water" (very appropriate!!! LMAO) legend...we have to set that film of AH and Himmler and others sitting down to soup-and-spuds from that famous sequence in the World At War LOL