Ramcke Brigade OoB

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Kolya

Ramcke Brigade OoB

Post by Kolya »

Hi there, I'm looking for an OoB of the Ramcke Brigade, specifically that of Heydte's battalion. Any help finding this would be much appreciated :)
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

I/Fleigerjaeger Regiment 3. Von Heydte Bataillon.

1st Ko. FsJg. 18 x l/mg. 2 x S/mg. 3 x le/Gr. 1 x S/Gr.W. 2 x 37mm PaK. 1 x 7.5Cm le/IG 18.

2nd Ko. FsJg. As above.

3rd Ko. FsJg. As above.

4th Ko M/G. 16 x l/mg. 8 x S/mg. 4 x S/Gr.W. 4 x PzB.

Schwere Ko. 3 x Pio Zug. 3 x 37mm PaK. 1 x le/IG 18.
Thanks. Dave.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Thank you :)

Do you have any info in regards to personnel, unit COs and the like?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Kolya!

The overall OoB of the Fallschirmjäger-Brigade Ramcke in August 1942:

Kommandeur: Gen.Maj. Ramcke

Adjutant: Oblt. Wetter
Ia: Hptm. Schacht; later: Major Kroh
Brig.Artz: St.A. Dr. Cohrs

Kampfgr. Kroh (I./FschJgRgt 2): Major Kroh
Kampfgr. v.d. Heydte (I./FschJgRgt 3): Maj v.d. Heydte
Kampfgr. Burckhardt (FschLehrBtl): Maj. Burckhardt
Kampfgr. Hübner (II./FschJgRgt 5): Maj. Hübner

II./FschArtRgt 7: Maj. Fenske
FschPzJägKp: Oblt. Hasender
FschNachrKp/FschSanKp: ?
Kriegsberichter: Ltn. Rechenberg, Ltn. Schnitzer

Strength and equipment for the KG v.d. Heydte for August 20 1942:

These numbers are for all men connected to the unit and not only the actual combat-ready Fallschirmjäger.

Offiziere: 17 + 1 at the assembly point (Auffanglager)
Beamte: 2
Unteroffiziere: 111 + 8 (Gefechtstross) + 8 (in Reserve) + 15 (Im Auffanglager)
Mannschaften: 589 + 16 (Gefechtstross) + 50 (In Reserve) + 50 (Im Auffanglager)

Strength and equipment for the KG v.d. Heydte for September 29 1942:

Offiziere: 15 + 3 San.Offz. but combat ready where 15 + 2 San.Offz.
Beamte: 3
Unteroffiziere: 173 but combat ready where 117
Mannschaften: 869 but combat ready where 516

Weapon equipment for the K.G. v.d. Heydte on August 20, 1942:

Leichte Maschinengewehre (l.M.G.): 68 (of them 6 in reserve)
Schwere Maschinengewehre (s.M.G.): 12
Leichte Granatenwerfer (l.Gr.W.): 9
Schwere Granatenwerfer (s.Gr.W.): 6
Panzerbüchsen: 11
Leichtgeschütze (l.G.): 1

Source for all names, units designations, numbers and equipment has been Hans-Martin Stimpel "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942-1945 - Einsätze auf Kriegsschauplätzen im Süden" (2nd Ed. 2006).

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

More info on the Fallschirmjäger-Brigade Ramcke...

According to Erich Busch "Die Fallschirmjäger-Chronik 1935-1945 (1983), this Brigade also had a company sized Pioner detachment, namely...

2./Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon (of the XI. Flieger-Korps); Oblt. Tietjen

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Nacht

Ramcke Brigade "White Paper"

Post by Nacht »

This is what is called a "White Paper" or topical synopsis that highlights events to hopefully get more interested readers involved... please feel free to make suggestions, corrections, and additions... just trying my best to do justice to those contributors to date...

As a sort of prequel, and to possibly give substance to what I'll share, many may know but some may not... I helped with reproduction of his reworked 1940-1954 personal biography (first printed in 1958) of v.d. Heydte and his Battalion command (I./FJR 3) during operations in Crete... the book is called, "Daedalus Returned" and an initial 1000 copy, limited edition, "English" language printing was made in 2003 by Aberdeen Books.

I hope that I can in some humble way do justice for the efforts here of my colleague, DavidW...

I'll try my best, with my let us call them "adequate" translational abilities, to put together the highlights to date, as well as, this segment in English;in an effort to assist the "Allied" contingent of this forum 'to get up to speed' and also with some additions for possible clarification. I have had access to personal papers, notes, and pictures for several segments of the 'incorporation and development' of the Luftwaffenjager-Brigade 1 known by its most common name today, as the Fallschirmjager-Ramcke Brigade. This is both from the viewpoint of pictures and story... to hopefully, clarify some misunderstandings and to also add photographic evidence to unit identification that is seen in other threads on this forum about sub-elements of what we will call the... Ramcke Brigade.

The Prequel: Burckhardt

The initial paratroop elements engaged in North Africa was under the command of Major Burckhardt; a distinguished commander in "Operation Mercury" (invasion of Crete) of II./FJR I. After this campaign he was sent to Berlin-Doberitz to assist in the re-manning and training of Fallschirmjager forces at Lehr Bataillon XI. Fleigerkorps.

Major Burckhardt was sent from his duties at Fallschirmjager Lehr (Training) Battalion XI. Fleigerkorps to take the elements of "Kampfgruppe Burckhardt" during the period 7-9 January, 1942 from Tapani Airfield in Ju-52 shuttle flights to St-Benito about 23km south of Tripoli in North Africa. The initial intent was for preparatory work and training of 'specialized' paratroops for the initially OKH planned invasion of Malta in the late spring of 1942. He in fact met with Rommel himself (I have four or five photos of these meetings) during late January. Rommel's Panzergruppe Afrika became Panzerarmee on the 21st of this month and he wanted all available forces committed for his planned counteroffensive in which his army drove the British 8th Army back to Cyrenaica.

"Kampfgruppe Burckhardt" at departure from Germany was enrolled from 3./PJAbt 7 and comprised four fallschirmjager companies with support of one anti-tank, one engineer squad and one artillery squad which at departure was a total of 614 men. These soldiers distinguished themselves in the field and fought over the course of the next three months, until 31/3/42 and the remainder of their forces withdrawn back to Germany with their honor as the first paratroopers in North Africa. Major Burckhardt continued his efforts in North Africa with reluctance to see his men go!

Reversal of fortune of Rommel's Panzerarmee up to the pullout of forces from Bir Hakeim and Tobruk on July 7 of both... heeded that a call was needed for additional support and strength... now enters the 'official name' of this nearly 4000 combined man unit...
Luftwaffenjager-Brigade 1
First a compiled basic unit Organization Chart...

Here are the basics of the four Battallions and their insignia... it appears that the use of the Black or Red Drache or 'Kite' and Black or Red 'R' (for Ramcke) have some particular significance in the demarcation of companies within the individual battalions. Also, the use of the stencil and or the kite having hash marks may have significance in demarcation of the company as well.
The basic battalion 'logos'...

Basic Insignia variants for the 'Kite':
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Alternate "All Red" form seen on "Private Collection" photos from initial setup of Burckhardt incorporation in Ramcke Brigade...

'R' Forms...
Image Image Image Image

The Battalion 'Initial Identifier' has been seen on most of these insignia... but not all... there are some examples where the Initial Identifier has even been 'over painted' and I have provided an example.

Kampfgruppe Burckhardt
Insignia for unit:
Image Image Image Image Image

Notice that this Kubel has a Black Kite and Red R!!!
Last edited by Nacht on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nacht

Kampfgruppe Kroh (subsequently Schwaiger)

Post by Nacht »

Kampfgruppe Kroh (subsequently Schwaiger)
Insignia of I.Battalion:

The Guide's machine pistol?
Image or ?

Looks more like the Beretta M1938A... but did not know about possibly the MP28...

Last edited by Nacht on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nacht

Kampfgruppe van der Heydte

Post by Nacht »

Kampfgruppe van der Heydte
Insignia of 2.Battalion:

Notice the FJR Komet on Driver Fender...

The "Oddball" set of markings... Overpaints...
Image Image

Image Next...
Last edited by Nacht on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nacht

Kampfgruppe Hubner

Post by Nacht »

Kampfgruppe Hubner
Insignia of 3.Battalion:
Image Image The third emblem variant was changed because of confusion with v.d.Heydte's II vehicle s having the kite with vD and Hasedner's Panzerjager's which had support vehicles using the H which adopted this drache or 'kite' emblem as background element as well...

This is Hubner's Motorcycle company at the Headquarters of 501 schwere Panzer... yes the Tigers of 501! More about that later...

Working alongside II.Kompanie of Oblt. Tietjen's Paratroop Engineers... from the 4.Kompanie/Korp-Fallschirmjager Pioneer Bataillon commanded by Hauptman Witzig as an element were also attached to the Ramcke Brigade in July of 42. This unlucky combined element of pioneers & engineers were tasked with moving the corpses of their fellow brigade members... from battalions...Hubner, Burckhardt, and v.d. Heydte!

4./Korps-Falls. Pioneer Btl. commanded by Witzig would be placed with FJR5 commanded by Obrst. Koch.
Ist led by Hauptman Jungworth and the IIIrd by Hauptman Knoche.

Remember that the IInd Bataillon of the FJR5 operating as III./Luftwaffenjager Brigade 1 or Kampfgruppe Hubner had been already assigned to the Ramcke Brigade in July of 42 like Witzig's battle group of Engineers/Pioneers.

I./FJR 5 landed at La Marsa Airport on 15 November, 1942 to give everyone a time frame of events... the other members of the Ramcke Brigade were leaving the El Alamein sector after Rommel refused Hitler's "Do Not Move an Inch" order of November 2-3,... on the 4th the Ramcke Brigade with little or no transport started walking west toward Tunisia!

This is how you see in Tunisia... all types of units being combined... as the men and materials were depleted... or removed!

Witzig and guide were the only survivors of the glider raid in late December incursion into Algeria to knock out two bridges in an effort to slow down advancing forces.

Ramcke Stab (Note the "B") Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkraftrad

David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Excellent work Nacht. :up:
Very detailed. :D
Thanks. Dave.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Outstanding work Nacht :!:
David W
Patron

Re: Ramcke Brigade OoB

Post by David W »

Can anything be done about all the "dead" photos in the above postings?
Thanks. Dave.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

David, They all "went" at the same time as the site that Nacht was part of.
Alan
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

OK :(
Thanks. Dave.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Do we have a date & point of arrival in North africa for Von Der Heydte Bataillon?

I have August 1942 near Tobruk "pencilled in".
Thanks. Dave.