Are you a wargamer?

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.

How do you consider yourself when it comes to wargames?

What are wargames?
2%
I played a wargame once many years ago...
8%
Why play tabletop when you can play computer?
20%
I own a few tabletop wargames.
14%
I own many tabletop wargames and play often.
10%
I play tabletop wargames very frequently!
9%
I'm a full fledged wargame collector.
37%

Total votes: 87

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Am sloooooowly working on three boxes of THESE http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... &code=8034

...the level of detail down at their "real" size is just amazing! Memories at childhood foaming at the mouth when all we had were those goddamn Airfix Romans :x
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paul Timms
Supporter

Post by Paul Timms »

I am a board and figure gamer of 30 years now, amongst my favourites were Up Front, Kingmaker and (phylo I thought I was the only one ) Fulda Gap. My much worn copy of this is still in the games room. I have around 3000 20mm Napoleonics, about 5-600 WWII and a largish Warhammer collection. As a gamer with few local opponents I bred my own about 7 years ago and my son Mick is now taking his first steps into the hobby.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

As a gamer with few local opponents I bred my own about 7 years ago and my son Mick is now taking his first steps into the hobby.
Excellent!

My prodigy is now 17
Thanks. Dave.
Paul Timms
Supporter

Post by Paul Timms »

The slightest of drawbacks is he's good and worse he's lucky !!
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Know the feeling!
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

mmmmm a horrible combination! :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
eke_karl

Post by eke_karl »

Hi

Long time war gamer.

Not many local players so tend to play a lot of solo or PBeM games. VASL has helped me with my ASL addiction.

Have most of J.D Webster’s air war series. Love TSOH.
Most of AH ASL series.
All of AH SL series.

Of the singles I would mostly have AH as their maps were/are some of the best around.

Cheers

Karl
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Howard wrote:Should start painting up Volksturm units soon.
I always found that kind of unit really frustrating; interesting to research, fun to paint and organise, then you march them onto the table and your mate with the Soviet Tank Army drives his mass-produced and spray-painted T-34s all over them :x

I did it back to him in moderns, though; his carefully researched and mostly scratch-built Div recce Battalion lasted about 90 seconds against my Challengers :D
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
Prussian Blau

Post by Prussian Blau »

I have been a wargamer pretty much my whole life thanks to my dad, started playing with cowboy and indian (60mm ish!) figures using omplex rules suh as a "6" to kill! Now20 years on we still play various types of wargame. The most recent being the War in the East game, takes some time and space that one!
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi RANGLIAN,

yes I fear your words are prophetic. An air strike and a platoon of T-34s should probably see my lovingly painted guys off in short order.

It's the same with Ancients, you fart around painting tribal markings on a Gallic or Britsh or Pictish warband, line them up all nice and threatening and then aftare two moves they been routed by half a cohort of Rome's finest :shock:
Regards

Howard
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Howard

That's why we paint up men to look exceptionally good. Then seeing them get killed is painful which of course adds to the realism.

But I know what you mean pal...

cheers
Reb
bluewillow

Post by bluewillow »

absolute nut wargamer, devote most of my free time to it, have most periods that are out there and mainstream historical.
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything!
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

panzerschneider

Post by panzerschneider »

I was an avid wargamer in my youth (early teens into mid 20's). Cut my teeth on games such as Stalingrad, Panzerblitz and the Russian Campaign.

My collection included probably 80% of Avalon Hill's WWII game products, from squad level combat like Up Front, Squad Leader, and ASL, up to the grand strategic level of Third Reich.

I enjoyed them all immensely, and have great memories of classic games. All that's left of my collection today is World in Flames (with most of the modules and add-ons), Vietnam, and Fortress Europa. I'd love to get back into the hobby again, but lack the time (and I'm probably too lazy to read the rulebooks again!).
The 6th army has fought courageously, but has succumbed to vastly superior enemy efforts, and to, unfavourable circumstances...
williamspd

Wargamer!

Post by williamspd »

I'm a long-time player and collector, just not very good at the playing ;-) Currently laying the plans for a workshop entirely devoted to the playing of wargames :-) With the wife's blessing too! Miracles can happen!