combat eqipment for low level officers?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

arshak

combat eqipment for low level officers?

Post by arshak »

Hi all
I would like to know something more (photo evidence would work as well) on combat equipment for low level officers (platoon commanders), especially if during combat actions they were supposed to wear the full webbing (i.e. the Y-shaped one) like troops and NCO effectively did.
thanks in advanceregards
fabrizio
PaulR
Supporter

Post by PaulR »

Most typically:

1. Officer's Field Belt
2. Map Case
3. Pistol and Holster.

There are many possibilities as well. I have seen photos of officers wearing a complete EM rig. It would be a nice way to be less conspicuous to snipers and etc.

Anything would work.

Are you building a display or reenacting
Always looking for Luftwaffe Administrative uniforms
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Before 1941 officers were just equipped with a pistol. After the experiences of the first campaigns frontline officers were equipped with an additional MPi.
Here is a photo of a platoon commander of the 5.Inf.Div. with the most frequent outfit I have seen in photos and during my researches and two additional from my collection.

\Christoph
arshak

Post by arshak »

thanks a lot for your reply Paul and Cristoph
and also the photos are very nice. for what I knew I expected map case, binoculars, sideweapon and MP40 with magazine pouches, my real concern was the trooper Y-shaped webbing (is it the EM rig you refer to, Paul? sorry for the question... :? ), like NCO used to wear as standard item (then of course I've also seen many photos of simple Landser without it, but that's another matter).....
It is just for a model project set after 1943....
regards
fabrizio