really stoopid panzergrenadier question....

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

phylo_roadking
Patron

really stoopid panzergrenadier question....

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, can anyone tell me what the extra external strapping on early-war panzergrenadier helmets was for???? Ive seen pics of a crisscroosed strap with a fabric wide band around the helmet, or sometimes jut the bandage band. Could understanbd it if it was to hold down a camo cover but the early war pics show no covers. Am I missing something obvius here?

phylo
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Hi phylo

I believe you might be thinking of the Battle practice band, "Rotes und gelbes gefechtsübung helm band"
red and yellow reversable band (depending on which side you're on).
This would fit around the helmet and was held in place by two hooks in either side as shown on picture.
This is a later field design (added band across top) and was used for attaching foilage onto.
Source: http://www.collectie40-45.nl/html/foto.htm
Also often seen the use of rubber bands for the same purpose or even for holding a white piece of cloth (early winter camouflage).

Seldom if ever have I seen a german soldier carry bandages on these bands. Hope this helped.

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Nope thats not it, Ill try and find a pic of what I mean and post it

phylo
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I think you might be referring to the piece of kit designed to contain the helmet when hung on a belt, or a horse saddle or a vehicle. Does the item you have incorporate a spring-loaded clip for such a purpose?

PK
Drandraufdrueber

Post by Drandraufdrueber »

Without seeing exactly what you are refering at: Rubber band to mount leaves, little branches etc. for camouflage.Later replaced by a mesh for better stability. Just a guess.
Strategy is the economy of power
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Drandraufdrueber wrote:Without seeing exactly what you are refering at: Rubber band to mount leaves, little branches etc. for camouflage.Later replaced by a mesh for better stability. Just a guess.
Your correct :)
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
mightythor99
Enthusiast

could be a.......................

Post by mightythor99 »

bread bag strap? they used those sometimes, it's a long strap, went over the shoulder, for their breadbag's. :up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!