Translation errors?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Translation errors?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Because there are so many on this board whose primary language is not English, I'm going to put this up here. This website is hilarious! Now, it is primarily mistakes in Japan, but I want you to know that I'm not picking on Japanese. I've spent time there, and it's a very nice, and interesting place!

http://www.engrish.com/

Besides, you guys know me. The English on here as a secondary language is well above and beyond my own command of any other languages!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Tom,

I wonder if the japaneses can do the same for the "gaijin" trying to speak in Nihongo.
One example : Kan.yu or Kan.yuu ( an invitation and some cod-liver oil). Frankly, I don't want to receive the first for drinking the second.
Can you or Kan.yu ? :D

Sayonara Tom san.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Or Americans trying to parlez Francais?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I was the unofficial translater for two French guys in my training troop. It did me no good to tell the DI that was barely able to order "veaux et epinards" in a restaurent.

"You've had a french class so you're the translater."

Once I accidently made the poor guys run straight into a sticker bush. The DI laughed it off - said they deserved it anyway! :D

cheers
Reb
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

My brother was a NCO in the French Army and some time ago he had US Army soldiers in his garrison (I think it goes back to the first Gulf War) and when they were at the canteen the sole French word they seemed able to manage was "Camembert"...... :D
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The wonders of the first Japanese motorcycle handbooks or workshop manuals translated into English are now distant and hideous memories....but in many countries have been replaced by those that come with the huge numbers of Chinesse- and Korean-made commuter motorcycles. Try reading one of THOSE in English for light comic relief!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Phylo

My very first computer manual warned that, "Chicken soup may not be spilled on computer!"

I was always careful to have vegetable soup when eating near my machine! :D

Which reminds me of a true story: A marine officer (sorry Tom!) was demonstrating a battle hardened computer system - "This can withstand blast, emp, radiation - you name it!" (said in appropriate hard core tone of voice 8) )

But when a reporter clutching a cup of coffee in his hand walked over to look at it the Marine hollered at him, "Get that away from the computer - you want to ruin the keyboard?!" :D

(disclaimer: I've heard that story where other branches of the service were doing the demo so it may be an urban legend - but would Byte magazine lie? :wink: )

cheers
Reb
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi Tom,

I told you before. For speaking a french working in 75% of all the situations, you must know only three words : oui, non and merde.
Meanwhile, Take care because you can have many combinations.
Example :
- Could you lend your car to me ?
- Merde !
- ok but it's merde oui or merde non ?

I guess also that computers use a strange english too. This morning, at work my computer told that it couldn't detect the keyboard and order me to press the F1 key. It didn't tell how :D

In the 50's, one of my friend was a young pilot in the french air force. He met an american pilot who was surprised to see that a pilot could be only a NCO. So the american said in french to my friend " la France c'est spécial".

So long
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket