Tank Gun Range and effectiveness

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

perrya

Tank Gun Range and effectiveness

Post by perrya »

Does anyone know what the range of the MkV 6pdr gun in Ww1 used in the tank? I know there would a gun theory range, but could it actually aim and fire at a target more than 800 yards?

Thanks
[email protected]
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Strangely enough, nowhere where I've ever read anything about the WWI British range of "Mark" tanks have I seen anything about gun range. I'm assuming the range would be a lot less than the original naval version though, because I DO know the barrel length was shortened twice, once for original fitment in the Mark 1s, and a second time before fitting to the Mark IVs and all following Marks. So you can reckon that range would certainly be less....and THEN there's the question of effective range - would it have the same range of elevation as in its Naval installation? Also, there's the question of sighting, something I don't recall reading - mostly I've read about use rather than design. Certainly there'd be no blind-firing or directed fire, but more fire-on-acquisition...so whatever they used for sights may simply not have let them accurately fire at targets out to that range!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

What caliber does the 6 pounder equate to?
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

57mm
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

Thanks for that mate, why did the British choose to use poundage instead of caliber?
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Mere tradition, and refusing to go Metric along with the rest of Europe under the Original Corporal.... :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
greenhorn
Contributor

Re: Tank Gun Range and effectiveness

Post by greenhorn »

Long naval history of artillery named after weight of shot....
Four, Six , Twelve, Eighteen, Twenty Four, Thirty Two, Sixty Four Pounders.

I think mortars followed a similar pattern, but howitzer named by caliber?
Banzai!