German situation maps on this site

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Hi i would be interested in this particulair one:

--K 1/25: Sven maps of proposed German, Croation, and Bulgarian movements relating to the occupation of Italian-held areas in Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece, and the Aegean Islands (Konstantin) June-July 1943.

Greetings,
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

At the risk of doing myself in, I would like input from the members on what they think a fair price would be for these maps. For example the previous post of 7 maps for that specific K series.

We have thought about putting the maps into geographic and date range/year groupings which could be anywhere from 6 maps to a few hundred.

I dont think Jason or I am looking to may big profits off this, just to recoup our costs to provide these maps. For me to drive 35 miles one way to NARA and scan in 100-150 maps at a time then back at home ship them off to Jason it can add up in costs, especially since I think it will take me at least 60 trips to get the rest of the sit maps in.

So I wonder what is a fair price for 1 series or a group of 100 maps?
M.Abicht
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Tough call...

Reasonable selling price, likely to sell more.

High value item, higher selling price, make more per item, but maybe sell less.

If you can keep the individual CDs under $50, that should be fair, though that might mean less than 100 maps per disc.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Hi!

Well i only need those 7 ...not a 93 other ones that i won't need....

All the best,

PS1
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
Simon V.
Supporter

Post by Simon V. »

I'm very satisfied to see yet another effort in offering research material in a digitized way (e.g. Richard Hedrick's sturmpanzer.com, John Moore's Führerliste).

As the original intention was to aid researchers and to cover some of Feldgrau's costs, the maps should - in my opinion - be offered at a reasonable price (30-45$). I've the feeling this isn't about profit making, but merely making research possible for many people. Very noble!

I'd personally offer them in fixed sets on DVD, rather then trying to fill in individual requests. Looking up the necessary maps, compiling and burning them on a DVD would take too much of your time...unless you wouldn't have a problem doing this ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Simon
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Abicht wrote:
We have thought about putting the maps into geographic and date range/year groupings which could be anywhere from 6 maps to a few hundred.
Good luck with this project. I think it will attract a lot of interest from serious historians/researchers especially if the CDs are reasonably priced.

I think your idea to offer maps by region/theatre or by date is a good idea. Myself I would be interested in maps for all theatres for certain specific dates as opposed maps covering a certain theatre for the whole period of the war.

Good luck.

Best Regards

Andy_F
Last edited by Andy_F on Wed May 23, 2007 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Andy_F wrote: Myself I would be interested in maps for all theatres for certain specific dates as opposed maps covering a certain theatre for the whole period of the war.
I would have to agree with Andy here!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Andy_F wrote:Myself I would be interested in maps for all theatres for certain specific dates as opposed maps covering a certain theatre for the whole period of the war.
Ah, but Andy and Jason, therein lies the rub!

For my purposes, research into Nord dictates I need one theater for the duration of their deployment there!

On the other hand, strictly for mapping references, I just need coverage of all areas.

So, each of us needs something similar, but just different enough so that whichever option they choose, Matt and Gruppenführer Pipes will never be able to please us all!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Tom Houlihan wrote:
So, each of us needs something similar, but just different enough so that whichever option they choose, Matt and Gruppenführer Pipes will never be able to please us all!
Seldom are there solutions to please everybody, but offering maps by theatre/region and by date range (for all theatres) offers the best flexibilty and chance of giving most people what they are after. If someone is interested in the situation maps for all fronts on 06Jun44 they order maps covering the Jun44 period but if someone is only interested in the North African campaign they order the maps for that theatre.

If someones requirements are somewhat more specific (or diverse) then they will have to purchase more of the maps.

Best Regards

Andy_F
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
Shadow
Patron

Re: German situation maps on this site

Post by Shadow »

Abicht wrote: I would like feed back on the level on interest for these maps if Jason put them as a thumb nails here and sold them for a small cost in batches of 100 on a DVD.
Me too, please !!! :up: :up:
Signed: "The Shadow"
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Posting for the followups. Thanks Abicht - very much appreciated.

Cheers
Reb
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Just a teaser example, this is the Finland 23 July 1941 Sit map. Sorry you cant zoom in more to this map as is hosted on a free site.

M.Abicht
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Any way we slice it this is going to be an amazing project and Feldgrau is proud to work with Abicht on it. We are coming up with an exclusive arrangement wherein Feldgrau will be the only site online to host this material and they will be available in some form or another for purchase in CD/DVD format for personal use. We are working out the specifics of the deal as we speak.

Considering the amount of material available one idea might be to finally move the entire site (sans the forum) over to a pay-per month or pay-per use or pay per year fee of some sort. The fee would be very nominal in relation to the amount of primary and secondary material that already is and will be made available. In so doing each map could be linked with the individual sections on Feldgrau as needed and accessed directly in some form. DVDs would still be able to be purchased for personal use as well. Anyway, we are working out the details and will have something ready soon.
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

This is truly exciting!!!

Thank you, gentlemen!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
konev2007

Post by konev2007 »

Me tooo!!

This would be great for the Soviet OB I'm putting together.

konev