Valkyrie (upcoming film)

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

panzermahn
Associate

Valkyrie (upcoming film)

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Feldgrauens,

What do you think of this upcoming movie? Tom Cruise as Stauffenberg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_%28film%29

Then Ed Harris as Rommel? Then who would play Uncle Adi? The same guy who play him in Der Untergang?

I probably think Thomas Kretschmann would somehow be involved in (Kretschmann played a lot of German officers role in movies, Stalingrad, U-571, Pianist, In Enemy Hands, Der Untergang)

And somehow, Jurgen Prochnow would be involved too :)

Regards
Panzermahn
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

It's funny how you mention Thomas Kretschmann. He was promised the lead role in Valkyrie playing von Stauffenberg. The screenwriter, and director I believe promised him the role, since they said he would be perfect for it. Then, I guess just before he was to sign the contract, Tom Cruise, since he owns the Production company decided HE wanted to play von Stauffenberg. So they kicked out Kretschmann and that's Hollywood for you. Disgusting. http://www.markenpost.de/news_Tom-Cruis ... _2047.html
Klaus Richter
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Actually, I heard a rumor that Kretschmann was starring in a movie called Eichmann..and about Adolf Eichmann. It's in Pre-Production with this movie too.
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Gosh, that's disgusting.

I dont think Tom Cruise had the mentality (unless he is afficionado of WWII history especially German military history likes most of us in Feldgrau :D ) to play Stauffenberg.

I think Kretschmann is the more suitable actor to play Stauffenberg..

Kretschmann is very convincing as Hermann Fegelein in the movie Der Untergang.

Rgrds
Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

and by the way, dont you think Tom Cruise is just a little bit too short to play Stauffenberg?
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Yup. And in my opinion, Kretschmann looks more like Stauffenburg
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Fellow Cineasts!

I clearly agree with you all that Thomas Kretschmann would portray von Stauffenberg much better than Tom Cruise ever would, not that I find Cruise to be that bad as an actor but because he's too famous and well known. The classic problem with (most) actors who are so widely recognizable is that you tend to see the actor and not the person that is played when you see a movie.

And even if I do enjoy an occasional Tom Cruise movie now and then, that man is always best at playing... Tom Cruise! :? You definitely know what you're gonna get! :roll:

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Hmmm have to say I was slightly dismayed when I heard about this. On the one hand, I suppose if they guy's sincere about wanting to do more serious roles, fair play to him... but I don't quite see it working. I tend to think these days Hollywood has little chance of pulling out of its creative tailspin, and meaningful films will be the ones coming out 'between the cracks' as it were. People with smaller budgets, less gloss, but the will to get something good out there.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

As an actor whose repetoire seems to be 50% High School jock body language, he's certainly going to be challenged acting a half crippled officer with one hand and only two fingers! That's half his acting range removed at a stroke....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Hi guys,

I find Tom Cruise as a person fairly nauseating, and if it’s true that he gazumped the Stauffenberg role from under Kretschmann I am far from surprised.

However, Cruise’s talents and credentials as an actor can’t really be knocked in my humble opinion. He usually throws himself into his roles and I am sure he could pull this role off very believably. Of course the other advantage of having Cruise involved and leading the cast is that the film will probably have a larger budget and will be seen by a larger audience.

That said, I agree with you guys about preferring these types of roles to be played by lesser known actors, mainly to avoid the Hollywood “spin”.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

PS: Why is the film called Valkyrie. I thought Valkyrie was a Norse Goddess.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello André!

Operation Walküre was the name of the conspirators plan to use the Reserve Army to take control over Germany after the successful assassination of Adolf Hitler... The mobilisation of Walküre was only partly started. In Paris, Praque etc. but as soon as the news got out thatHitler was alive the whole plan immendiately died.

And partly yes, the Valkyries of Norse mythology was the winged female messengers of Odin All-Father and their main task was to pick (chose) warriors from the battlefield that were dying (or going/chosen to die) so they (the warriors) could enter Valhalla and feast with, and fight for Oden and the other Gods. But that's another story... :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Many thanks for the info Doc.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

I too seem to be unable to discern the personality Tom Cruise from the actor Tom Cruise therefore always trying to avoid flicks with him innit....

I so wish he would give this role back to Kretschmann who said in an interview that he was totally taken by surprise since he had already started to learn his text.... :?
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Tom Cruise as Claus von Stauffenberg?? :roll:

What's next, Brad Pitt as Rommel?