Important notice to all members re: user accounts!!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Important notice to all members re: user accounts!!

Post by Jason Pipes »

As many of you know Feldgrau.net has been experiencing a significant number of offensive user registrations and spam postings. This is a sad but unfortunate reality of the online world at this time. Feldgrau is not the only site with this problem, in fact.

After many months of hard work we have found a way to easily and quickly cull out most if not all of the fake user accounts on Feldgrau.net! As we begin this process though we want to give all users proper notice of our impending actions so they may be aware of what is occurring.

Starting this weekend (March 30th-April 1st, 2007) the following Feldgrau.net user accounts WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE:

1. All accounts that have been registered but have NOT been activated within the past 24 hours.

2. All accounts that have been activated but have had ZERO posts made.

We are taking extra measures to insure that legit users will not be impacted by these changes in any way. We are putting in place means to secure all accounts should anything go wrong. That being said, if you attempt to login at a later date and find that your account is no longer active or has been removed, please email myself or one of the moderators and we will correct the problem.

Please bare with us as we implement these much needed changes. We thank you for your continued support of Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com!
Last edited by Jason Pipes on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Hope it works mate! :D
Thanks. Dave.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Yeah, me too! Otherwise, we have to remove 2000+ dead accounts manually! :shock:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Excellent decision Jason! This will hopefully work against the spammer hordes and other lesser creatures... Now we can fill up the membership accounts with people that have a genuine interest in this Mother of All Wars.

And I would like to say (again)... Thanks Jason for providing all of us with this excellent Website and a truly great Forum! :up:

With the very best of regards,

Krollspell :D
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
haen2
WWII Vet

dead wood

Post by haen2 »

Great idea !
Success !!
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks for your support folks! Now we need to implement a system wherein fake account registration is seriously limited as well... We are working on it! @{
Tanklord

Methods to validate registration

Post by Tanklord »

I saw one system where the registree (?) is asked to add 2 numbers and type in the results for it to be a valid system. Also the blurred letter thing seems to work too.
...meanwhile back at the ranch,
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Making users use a username with (x) or (word) in it with (x) in at the end would help. Otherwise you could still get people that do it just to spam anyway.

EDIT - Post 777!
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
luftdagger

Post by luftdagger »

New member here!

Sounds like a great approach to stopping the spammers. I'm a member of another forum and in the last 6 months the spamming has become ridiculous. I have had to delete spam post in the neighborhood of 1-3 a day!

I hope this works out! :D

Jeff
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

1-3 a day? Mate, you ain't seen nuthin' yet! Try deleting a dozen or more!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

luftdagger wrote:New member here!

Sounds like a great approach to stopping the spammers. I'm a member of another forum and in the last 6 months the spamming has become ridiculous. I have had to delete spam post in the neighborhood of 1-3 a day!

I hope this works out! :D

Jeff
Yeah, but that's what boosts the membership figures to more than 10,000 on some sites! That and all the ghost registrations. Try taking a trip through the membership lists of the average forum website and you will see that the members with no posts vastly outnumber those with even one or two posts.

PK
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

Jason, your campaign against spammers must not slacken! Tis a fight to the death and there can only be one outcome against the criminal fascist spam invaders - total victory! :D
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Death to the spammers!
Thanks. Dave.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I just spent a bit over an hour deleting 21 user accounts, and banning 92 IP addresses.

DEATH TO SPAMMERS! %E
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Rudi Welz
Supporter

WhatTs new

Post by Rudi Welz »

Death to the Spammers!
Rudi