Never seen ammo pouch - can you help ?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Peabird

Never seen ammo pouch - can you help ?

Post by Peabird »

Hello !

I found a never seen before WW2 ammo pouch on ebay - can you give me any information about it ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... &rd=1&rd=1

The webbing / buckles looking a bit BRITSH but also US.
Is it post war ?
Can anyone help me ?

Thank you very much.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'm not an expert, but it looks right. The first thing I looked at were the button clips. I hated those damned things!

Generally speaking (since I know someone'll find a way to refute me!), Brit kit was more khaki colored, lighter than the OD stuff us Yanks use(d).
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I've never seen this particular style of pouch before either, but as Tom said, the materials and hardware look right.

You're correct that the webbing appears British. British made webbing, equipment, and uniform items for the US Army are fairly common. British factories produced a large amounts of kit for the US during the war (cheaper than shipping it over from the States). The seemingly mismatched British webbing and US snap fasteners should not be seen as a sign of a reproduction or postwar piece. They are correct for the period.

Very unusual piece in this style though. If I collected US gear, I'd bid for it.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Not to be a pain in the butt but that looks US to me. I have a kit bag I use to keep shotgun shells in - looks like a larger version of the ones on eBay. Got it at a surplus store. colour, snaps exactly the same.

If those pouches weren't so long I'd say BAR mags. Maybe Thompson?

cheers
Reb