Ersatz unit question

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Vaterland
Supporter

Ersatz unit question

Post by Vaterland »

Hello all. I am trying to identify with Ersatz unit supported/provided replacements for the SS-Deutschland regiment. Can anyone recommend a source where I could find this?
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

This was SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland stationed in Prague. See Frontkämpfer - hart wie Stahl. Das Regiment "Deutschland" 1934-1945; it has a chapter covering the history of the replacement battalion.
Vaterland
Supporter

Post by Vaterland »

Marko wrote:This was SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland stationed in Prague. See Frontkämpfer - hart wie Stahl. Das Regiment "Deutschland" 1934-1945; it has a chapter covering the history of the replacement battalion.
I have seen that battalion mentioned as the replacement unit for the entire 2.SS division. Was this the case? If so, did each company within the battalion correspond to a certain regiment within the division?
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Vaterland wrote:
Marko wrote:This was SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland stationed in Prague. See Frontkämpfer - hart wie Stahl. Das Regiment "Deutschland" 1934-1945; it has a chapter covering the history of the replacement battalion.
I have seen that battalion mentioned as the replacement unit for the entire 2.SS division. Was this the case? If so, did each company within the battalion correspond to a certain regiment within the division?
Can't really say, it seems that in 1943 the replacement battalions were reorganized and that from then on each division only had one replacement battalion.
Vaterland
Supporter

Post by Vaterland »

Marko wrote:
Vaterland wrote:
Can't really say, it seems that in 1943 the replacement battalions were reorganized and that from then on each division only had one replacement battalion.
I see. Thanks for the help Marko. Looks like I still have some digging to do.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Vaterland wrote:
Hello

No the certain companies were not responsible for certain regiments. The companies had soldiers in different stages of training. If all would have had the same level you would have all few months a replacement unit with not a single trained soldier. So the companies started differently and usually (exceptions proof the rule) the replacements were taken from the most advanced trained company. Distributed to all units which needed replacements.

\Christoph
GWL_diegrinder

Post by GWL_diegrinder »

What page or chapter is the story about the replacement unit in "hart wid Stahle"? I have the book but my german is not good enought to quickly read through the book to find the section about the replacement units.
GWL_diegrinder

Post by GWL_diegrinder »

What page and/or chapter is the story about the Deutschland replacement units in "hart wie Stahl"? I have that book, but my german is not good enought to locate the section regarding the replacement units.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

pages 283 - 294 in the 3rd edition.
GWL_diegrinder

Post by GWL_diegrinder »

found it, thanks.