HELP HELP HELP - Looking for ancestors during WW2 - RUSSIA

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Hugueso

HELP HELP HELP - Looking for ancestors during WW2 - RUSSIA

Post by Hugueso »

Hello,

I am currently working on the history of my family. We're french and the family used to live in Lorraine, 3 km far from the German borders. Germany considered these territories to be German, and thus my ancestors were forced to join the Wehrmacht during WW2. They were called "malgré-nous".

My grand-father served 4 years in the French Army, he has been made prisonner by the Germans near Sedan and as born in Lorraine, forced to join the Wehrmacht (if he would'nt, the family would have been deported to a concentration camp). He served in Ost Front (Ukraine) and in France, and then escaped from the German Army to join the Resistance in France.
He died a few years ago and I am looking for some information about his duty in the Wehrmacht : where was he exactly in Ukraine, in which division, what happened, etc.

The brother of my grand-mother was only 18 when he was forced to join the Wehrmacht. He served in Ost Front as Panzer Grenadier and was killed in action near Kirovograd, wearing a uniform he was hating. His grave has not been recovered yet. I also would like to know where he was, in what division, where he died on December 9th, 1942 , etc.

The other brother of my grand-mother has the same history, but he has been wounded near Stalingrad and came back in France. He died a few years ago as well.

In total, 9 French young men from my family were forced to serve in the German army. Most of them were sent to Russia because the German government did not trust them. 4 of them died under this uniform, 4 survived (among them 2 joined the Resistance), and 1 never came back from a prisonner camp in Russia (Tambow).

I'm just starting this all research and I'm looking for clues and info where I can find German archives about their unities and all other information.

Most of the time, I have their military number / identification, and postal codes where the mail when sent by their familiy. I of course also have their name and date and place of birth.

Could you please help me if possible?

Many many thanks

Hugues, Paris, France