History Channel Mistakes

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

oh lord - take your pick - T34s that were KV1s and vice versa...a "Sherman" production line - that was lowering a gurt big 75mm gun into a SIDE SPONSON! :D etc.....etc.....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I agree with phylo its like shooting Fish in a barrel. I've seen clips where they have identified men from incorrect units and it should be obvious since you can see vehicles with the unit markings. Mislabeling men as Waffen-SS and vice-versa. I haven't watched the History Channel in forever so I would be hard pressed to name anything but they are a dime a dozen.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

i saw the sherman thing too... was that the 'sherman vs Tiger' program?

i remember the first time i saw that (when i was a young lad)... i wondered why the 'Tiger' had funny wheels (much like those of a T-34 :wink: ). early variant, perhaps..? :roll:
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Last night in an other wise lovely doc on panzers (Helmut Ritgen showed up!) they stated that Tiger II made its debut in the Ardennes.

A common mistake I'm afraid but a mistake indeed.

cheers
Reb
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Well I just saw a good one just barely and I just turned on the tube. Its about the Warsaw Uprising and they are talking about Home Army snipers yet they are showing Soviet Sniper Propaganda footage about the battle of Stalingrad. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I remember when they did that and not long after the Red Army Files were opened and the Russian government come out about the propaganda coup. Then the History Channel magically changed their tune about the whole affair. :D
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz »

The History Channel's documentary "The Death of Hitler/Escape from the Fuhrerbunker" wrongly stated that Dr.Stumpfegger stayed in the bunker and committed suicide with Krebs and Burgdorf.

In fact he escaped with Martin Bormann and both men got as far as the Weidendammer Bridge. After that - who knows? :?:

Best regards.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

I saw one on Discovery Europe. (I think it was the Battlefield series) on the battle of Britain, they had a map over europe, and Denmark was labelled Finland!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

DXTR wrote:I saw one on Discovery Europe. (I think it was the Battlefield series) on the battle of Britain, they had a map over europe, and Denmark was labelled Finland!
I saw one where a map of Eastern Germany was now labelled "Poland". Oh wait a minute.... 8)
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

But seriously folks, You guys are too hard on the Hitler Channel. They do get some things right, and and at least generate interest that leads folks to research more on their own and to sites like this.

Perhaps you should switch the channel to MTV's "Pimp my ride" or "Pants off dance off" instead.
NachtJaeger

Post by NachtJaeger »

Yes, I must agree that the history channel does screw up from time to time. Generally though, they do get the essential information right. I must also say that history channel has indeed inspired people (such as me for example) with its misinformation to study on their own. The majority of what I know of WWII and the Third Reich come from self study rather than TV or school. May I remind you all that the school pollutes our minds with lies, I have many times debated with my teachers that they are preaching false information. There is so much BS that they have tried to tell me about the World Wars and the Cold War that was complete and utter bull sh%t. Im not sure that applies to schools in Europe and Canada, but it's certainly the truth in America. Sorry if this was an insignicant or boring rant, I'm very tired right now and I keep losing my train of thought. Nonetheless I encourage each and every one of you to get your information not from school or TV, but from your own good research obtained from reliable non-biased resources.
Wir sind wieder stolz Deustcher zu sein!
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

The WORST thing to ever happen; at school was when my teacher said the war ended in 1944. I was appalled.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Perhaps he was greek?

:-)
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Alex don't ya know it did. The rest of the war is a social construct! Put it out of your head and let it bother you no more! Oh and for that matter we got to Berlin first! :wink:

I think the the only things I ever came close to blowing a gasket in History Class in High School about was 1. The American Civil War one of my peers made a snide remark about the South and the flying of the Stars and Bars needless to say I corrected the attitude. :wink: 2. My History teacher decided the Ost Front wasn't a real factor in the War and only covered the Battle of Stalingrad since it was the "only" significant one. :roll: I liked the teacher and all but he had a very narrow American perspective of the war like how it started in 1941.

Of course the only time I ever made others blow gaskets was High School Civics of course I was told to purposefully push buttons and get some people to think. Which led to amusing situations where I had to play devil's advocate of course I made the persona perfect when I came into class with a copy of "Mein Kampf" and said people who don't know their rights should lose them and that the handicapped should work slave labor in fast food. What was quite saddening was the bunch of idiots who agreed to such outrageous suggestions of course I latter worked a Fast Food job so karma is a bitch. :D
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Rajin Cajun wrote: Which led to amusing situations where I had to play devil's advocate of course I made the persona perfect when I came into class with a copy of "Mein Kampf" and said people who don't know their rights should lose them and that the handicapped should work slave labor in fast food. What was quite saddening was the bunch of idiots who agreed to such outrageous suggestions of course I latter worked a Fast Food job so karma is a bitch. :D
The movie "the wave" comes to mind... I once participated in a similar experiment where the boardingschool I attended was running a twoday long experiment. The students were divided into 4 groups workers, police, government and rebels. The government dictated that all workers should clean the outdoor premises. Apointed as a policeman/guard I was to oversee that the workers fulfilled their task, I found myself doing the job really well pushing and shoving those who neclected to pick up even the tiniest cigarettebud. When one guy refused to do so and started to run away I tracked him down and forced him back to his duties.

When the "rebels" the next day finally managed to pursuade the workers to rebel I had of course switched sides. The subsequent trials, I even managed to avoid any punishment like doing laundry or the dishes. Even though I had been quite eager to fullfill my orders, using unsanctioned force. :D

The shocking revelation to me about the whole affair, apart from being an opportunist weasel was that the distance to the SS campguard was not that far. :shock:

Over all the whole affair was really good, and it really put things into perspective.