SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer der Waffen-SS Wilhelm Goecke

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
deradler1

SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer der Waffen-SS Wilhelm Goecke

Post by deradler1 »

I am looking for any information about this Obersturmbannfuhrer. I have a large format death card that states that he died in Italy on 21 October 1944 .
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello deradler1!

Wilhelm Goecke was a commendant in the KZ system, among other places in Warsaw. If you google him you'll recieve quite a few hits with information. Michael Miller over at http://www.axishistory.com has this to say about the death and the identity of Goecke...
Horst Scheibert includes the following in Die Träger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold, Band II (page 464):

Goecke, Willi SS-Stubaf. / SS-AR 8 / 27.01.1945

This is a misprint- It was actually SS-Stubaf. (promoted SS-Ostubaf. on 30.01.1945) Willi Görcke) who received the DKiG as Kdr. SS-Artillerie-Regiment 8 of 8.SS-Kavallerie-Division "Florian Geyer" on 27.01.1945.

In the SS file of SS-Standartenführer (Allg. SS) / SS-Obersturmbannführer d. R. der Waffen-SS Wilhelm Goecke, there is a card stating he received the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold on-- 27.01.1945 (no details as to specific assignment at the time, but it points out that Goecke was killed in action, presumably by partisans, on 22.10.1944 while subordinated to HSSPF Adriatische Küstenland). I am fairly certain that a clerk at the SS-Personalhauptamt made a mistake, and that the same mistake made its way into Scheibert's book. There is nothing else in the file of Wilhelm Goecke to indicate he received the DKiG. Unfortunately, because he was killed before the 09.11.1944 SS-Dienstalterliste, and because there is no mention of wartime awards in the few documents appearing in his file, I do not know if he even received the 1939 Spange to his 1914 EK I (a prerequsite toward attaining the DKiG)- although the point is rather moot as I think it's obvious that someone was confusing Goecke with Görcke.

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Can you post the death card...I would love to see it.

Thanks

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
deradler1

Post by deradler1 »

Thanks to everyone who posted all the great information. Actually it helps explain several other items that were part of the same group. One was a calling card for Reinhard Heydrich. Another is an atlas of German in a large book format that is signed on the inside of the front cover that is signed by a doctor for a concentration camp. Now probably Mauthausen.

Here is the image of the card