Der Fuhrer in the First War

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Der Fuhrer in the First War

Post by Guest »

i thought we might be able to start this section off with some info about "Der Fuhrer in the First War" like he was part of the 16 Bavarian Reserve (i think) which were supposed to be elite

can anyone confirm the legend that he was almost killed when a bunker he had just left was blown up by Aussie Artillery
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

sorry folks the above was me but i forgot to log in... a guest thing hmmm good or bad
"Gott Mit Uns"
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Post by philippe_jehl »

I have seen several documentaries that mentioned the episode of his almost being killed but neither stated it as fact. They did mention that after that incident, Hitler felt he was being protected and had a destiny to fufill (or something to that effect).

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

Here's a quite extensive biography on Hitler that also covers his WW I experiences in reasonable detail.
Must admit I haven't read all of it and in the parts that I have read I found a few things that are debatable to say the least but maybe this article can be a starting point for further discussion on hitlers WW I exploits.

http://smoter.com/hitler.htm

Cheers,

Paul
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Well,

Seems that can be a guest when I don't log in :D

Prefer being a member though!!

Cheers again,

Paul
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

i'm not sure it's been discussed in here lately, but what's the feeling on that story of the former Brit sniper some years later claiming 'I had him in my sights in 1917 but decided to let him go... oh the trouble I could have prevented!' Sounds a bit flaky to me...
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Scott Powell

Post by Scott Powell »

Hitler was VERY brave in the great war. As a lowly Corporal he was awarded both the EK 1 in 1918 and EK 2 in 1914. The award of the EK1 speaks volumes of his courage,as it was very rarely awarded to such a low ranking foot soldier. He was also awarded the Bavarian War Merit Cross 3rd Class with swords in 1917.
a small side note, one reason Hitler wore his moustache as he did after the war was to prove he was a front line soldier to the masses. moustaches had to be trimmed very short on the sides so the gas masks would gain an airtight fit
Soldat7128
Supporter

Re:

Post by Soldat7128 »

Rolf Steiner wrote:i'm not sure it's been discussed in here lately, but what's the feeling on that story of the former Brit sniper some years later claiming 'I had him in my sights in 1917 but decided to let him go... oh the trouble I could have prevented!' Sounds a bit flaky to me...
Sounds firmly in the "Hitler had only one ball" school of English history to me… :wink:
Soldat7128
Supporter

Re:

Post by Soldat7128 »

philippe_jehl wrote:I have seen several documentaries that mentioned the episode of his almost being killed but neither stated it as fact. They did mention that after that incident, Hitler felt he was being protected and had a destiny to fufill (or something to that effect).
Sounds like Martin Sheen's description of Col. Kurtz in Apolocalypse Now (at least the protected part).

Also sounds like the failed assassination attempts during the Second World War probably intensified Hitler's belief in his own invulnerability, but that it had its roots in the First World War.