Letters of Notification

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Spandau
Contributor

Letters of Notification

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

When a soldier died in combat, what was the nature of the letter of notification sent to the family? Was there something of a template that the name, rank, etc. of the soldier was inserted into?

What were they like? Does anyone have a picture of one?

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

This is the closest I can come up with at the moment. I doubt if this was the first and only letter of notification received by the family though. It seems much too impersonal. I'd also like to see some clarification of the normal procedure for notification of next of kin when a soldier was killed.

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H38752.html
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

My mother received no written notification. She received a visit from a deputy Kreisleiter, or some such nazi official who notified her personally that my father was MIA. She said that that was the norm. He was very nice about it, helped her fill in all the paperwork for her entitlements and life went on. That was 2/1944. She received what she was entitled to and no further correspondence was entered into until April 1945 when she received a letter stating bluntly that the war was lost and how much pension did she want in advance. Being who she was she replied that she wanted to be paid monthly as per usual. That was a mistake!!!!!

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID