Looking for a name

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

GuidoS

Looking for a name

Post by GuidoS »

Hello,

I'm working out our family history and i found a picture of a greatuncle of mine. He is wearing DRK pyama's. On a little sign in the picture it says " Gren. Siebers 24 31-1'44"

Is it possible the 'Gren' is most likely meaning that he was Grenadier? No family history knows what he has done in the war. He was called for the Arbeitseinzats but we found a picture of him in DRK cloths. Could he be a Dutch Grenadier volunteer?

Family says he was a advanture type of person!

Who could help me out just finding the name in records. So that i know he was in the Wehrmacht.

I hope to hear from you guys! This is very important for me and my whole family who has known nothing for over 61 years!

Thank you!

With best regards,

Guido
The Netherlands
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Gren. indeed means Grenadier.

You might might consider writing to the WASt in Berlin and inquire if they have any records in respect to this relative's military service (http://www.com-de.pair.com/WASt/frame_e.htm). While the reply from WASt can take some time, it is well worth the wait. The request for information can be done online.

I wish you luck with your further research.

Christian
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

Christian,

Thank you for your advice!

Would this be a Heer grenadier or could it also been a SS grenadier?

Am i correct that there were many Dutch men in the Heer infantry?
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

GuidoS wrote: Would this be a Heer grenadier or could it also been a SS grenadier?

Am i correct that there were many Dutch men in the Heer infantry?

anyone?! :(
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Most of the Dutch who joined the German army, were transferred to the NSKK (up to 15,000 at most) and Waffen SS (Wiking and Legioen Niederlände/Nederland, 22,000 at most). In theory it was possible to join the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe or Kriegsmarine (up to 2,000, maybe 3,000, for all branches). Dutchmen did join these branches, but in smaller numbers then the Waffen SS and NSKK.

My guess:I think he did join the Waffen SS. The father of an uncle of mine was also called for the Arbeitseinsatz and worked in a factory in Chemnitz. A friend wanted to quit working there and did join the Waffen SS, my uncle's father did the same. After the war he told he served only three months in the Waffen SS (he disliked it, so he said he was sick and was allowed to leave!). He also told the police officer joining the Waffen SS was the only way to leave the factory and the Arbeitseinsatz.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

Thank you for your reply!

How big is the chance of me getting personal records from him? How well administrated was the W-SS? On the sign it says it was made around 31st of January, 1944. Could it possibly be thank to this date i can locate his posision roughly if we ware talking about Wiking and the Legioen Nederland?
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

GuidoS wrote:Thank you for your reply!

How big is the chance of me getting personal records from him? How well administrated was the W-SS? On the sign it says it was made around 31st of January, 1944. Could it possibly be thank to this date i can locate his posision roughly if we ware talking about Wiking and the Legioen Nederland?
I could give you some positions of the 'Wiking' that period but you would be guessing, first you have to be sure he was listed.

Like 'Christian' already wrote, give it a try at the WASt in Berlin.

By the way, in the last month's several archive's from the resolved Zentralnachweisstelle des Bundesarchivs in Aachen where took over by the WASt also. (Like some Organisation-Todt File's)

If the WASt can't help, there are several more options!

suc6

Richard
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

i just heard that this picture was taken in Riga, Latvia..

Is there some one who could find out which units were active in this region around 31st of January 1944 ?
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

--
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

Just got word back from the WASt!

It seems he was in Einheit 4./ SS-Feldersatz batt. 5 of the 5th WIKING division!

Does anyone have more information about this Battalion (Books, Pictures, reports ANYTHING!!!!)

Thanks in advance people!!!
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Just a small thought: check out http://www.waffen-ss.nl or it's forum. A lot of know how, but it's in Dutch :wink: .
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

Thanks for the comment! Couldn't find the forum though; could you post the direct link?

Any other options? Maybe pictures in personal collections? Or tips for Divisional books with detail information about its battalions etc.
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

http://waffen-ss.www2.prexon.nl/ but if this link isn't working (it's a closed forum!), you could try this one: http://www.cmc40-45.nl/ Then press the button forum.
GuidoS

Post by GuidoS »

Thanks! Maybe more luck @ that forum!

Thanks again :beer:
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

You're welcome!