US CAMP units

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Andy H
Associate

US CAMP units

Post by Andy H »

Whilst looking into US Coastal defences, specifically those around NY, I came across a unit(s) such as 15th, 19th, 20th CAMP Btys etc

CAMP standing for Coastal Artillery Mine Planter

Does anyone know there function, weapons employed, TOE etc

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

A mine planter is army language for coastal minelayer.

You'll find them described on page 364 of Fortress America b J. E. Kaufmann and H.W. Kaufmann.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Michael

Thanks for that. I'm aware of that book and I'll go and have a looksee.

If its Army slang for a vessel, why the Bty reference and not something more nautical, such as flotilla etc

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:Hi Michael

Thanks for that. I'm aware of that book and I'll go and have a looksee.

If its Army slang for a vessel, why the Bty reference and not something more nautical, such as flotilla etc

Regards
Because it wasn't slang, it was the actual nomenclature. You see in the occasionally bizarre logic of the US Army the Coast Artillery Corps was an artillery unit and thus consisted organizationally of regiments, battalions, and batteries, regardless of the minor fact that in this case the "batteries" were in fact "flotillas". Of course why then they didn't decide to name the vessels of the batteries "guns", "howitzers" or "mortars" is I suppose another matter? :D