My Wehrmacht Vet Grandpa wants his medals b4 he dies...

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ahribek

My Wehrmacht Vet Grandpa wants his medals b4 he dies...

Post by ahribek »

Hi all...what a great site! - Anyway, here's the story...My opa Alois Hribek joined in 39 when he turned 18 (as required) and rose through the ranks fighting in europe. He was awarded 2 iron cross 1st class, 1 X 2nd and a few other medals for wounds and bravery etc...

Ultimately, he was severley wounded on the russian front, captured and imprisoned until after the war.

On returning to Austria, his mum buried his medals, gave him a whack over the head and told him to forget all about the war.

Now some 60 years later, after moving to Australia in the 1950's and putting the past behind him, he feels he would like his medals back.

He's heard that he can have them replaced - Anyone gone through the process or know where to start???

He still has his "soldbuch" and 2 of the citations for the iron crosses plus two letters written by his commander recommending him for field awards.

Any assistance would be much appreciated - - Maybe he can answer some of your questions too - - :?:
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi,

Been there, done that. The German government will not issue replacement medals and awards. I think the last lot were issued in 1957. I have a copy of the act governing replacement issue, and it's hopeless. It's just not allowed. I have gone as high as the various Presidents etc. all to no avail. Don't waste your time with the politicians. It's a bloody disgrace, but there it is.

The only thing you can do is to buy replacements from private sources. A good source is Detlev Niemann, Ballindamm 9 V Stock, D - 20095 Hamburg.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
ahribek

Post by ahribek »

Thanks Hans for the advice - - - Good to finally hear from someone who has actually tried.

I'll get his soldbuch in the next few weeks and scan & post some of the data on the site - may be of interest to you guys!
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Post the page detailing his awards. Maybe some of the members here will be able to help you with replacement awards. It depends on whether you want 1957 pattern denazified versions or the real thing, as he would have worn before May 1945. Niemann is one potential source but you have to be careful with him: click here. He's also quite expensive. The same applies to most dealers. You might be better off appealing to members to sell you spares of originals from their collections because the gongs and badges themselves are not that rare. You have the important components of the awards, which are the documents and the soldbuch entries.

PK
ahribek

Post by ahribek »

Thanks Paddy for the tips - I suppose we were just naive to think that the German Government would happily replace them under the circumstances.

My Grandpa thanks all who have read and replied - He genuinely was amazed with the detail and quality of the threads, pics and discussions on the website and will consider privately purchasing.

His other option is to go back to Austria - go back to his family home - creep into the backyard at night with a shovel and dig them up again!!! - - Yes !!! He's seriously considering it and knows exactly where they are! - -Unless there's an apartment building or car-park on the site!
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Sounds like an adventure in itself. I'd sure like to be there. Why can't your relatives dig them up for him.

Europe must be full of amazing caches of stuff like this. I remember as a 5 year old finding an amazing lot of NAZI material while playing in a sandy area. I of course didn't know what it was. I took one piece from an inlaid cutlery set and ran home and showed it to my mother, telling her there was a mountain of stuff. Well she panicked, and made me take it back and tell no one. Went back to the spot at age 30, there was a school over the spot.

Being a collector I've always wondered what else there actually was and whether i'd be living in greater luxury now.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
ahribek

Post by ahribek »

Unfortunately, the house was sold shortly after the war - His father, an officer was killed by the russians in May 45 and I think they all just wanted to move on. No living relatives left now.

Wadda ya think Hans...maybe I can rustle up some of my friends at SBS (national australian TV station) to fund a documentry for you, him and maybe some other Aussie resident vets to go back to Europe and covertly hunt in people's backyards looking for their 1945 stash?

I'm thinking seriously about this now....the more I think about it, the more interesting it is - I'll find out how realistic the project may be and get back to you all.....[/i]
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

They did fund the Sandmans return to Siberia, didn't they?

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

hello there fellow Aussies, i know a few people on SBS and other sought of Documentary people, i will make some enquireies and get back to you

-Matthew von Nicholai
"Gott Mit Uns"
ahribek

Post by ahribek »

Herr Gruber - Thank you very much!

My preliminary enquiries so far have met with little interest.

On a happier note, I finally checked the WAST website and the results were interesting:

Nachname: Hribek
Vorname: Alois
Dienstgrad:
Geburtsdatum: 28.11.1909
Geburtsort:
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
Todesort: Russland
right name - wrong date of birth - AND he's alive & well!!!! :D
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

no problem.... dont get your hopes up but i will see what i can do, tell your grandfather i will do anything i can to help a Patriot

P.S Willhelm Gruber was my Uncle my name is below (sorry just to clarify i have started to sign my own name)

-Matthew von Nicholai
"Gott Mit Uns"