WW2 vets in Vietnam

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

kordts
Supporter

Post by kordts »

Larry Thorne's story makes fiction seem tame. What guts and skills the guy had. I wish he was as well known here in the US as he deserves to be.

Peace out,

Kordts
Here dead lie we because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose;
But young men think it is, and we were young.
Here Dead Lie We by A.E. Houseman
KAKI3152

Maj Siegfried Freytag-French Foreign Legion vet

Post by KAKI3152 »

Major Siegfried Freytag, an fighter pilot with 102 victories flying Bf-109s joined the French Foreign Legion after the war. He served as a infantry NCO on Indochina. He spent the rest of his military career in the FFL and eventually retired to the retiremnt home run by the Legion in France,where he died in 2003. He won the Knight Cross.
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi, KAKI3152,
Thanks for the info.
A little remark:
In French FFL invariably means Forces Francaises Libres, i.e. the Free French.
I know that in English it can mean French Foreign Legion but, at first glance, I was confused.
And I guess the other francophone members of this forum also.
But if you write the French initials for the Legion, LEF, now all other members will be confused.....
No solution it seems.
However, thanks again.
Regards
Daniel
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Taylor Collector wrote: Rold Steiner.
AFTERWARDS HE FAKES HIS OWN DEATH AND IS INVOLVED OF THE ATTEMPT BY NAZIS IN THE LEGION ENTRAGER TO OVERTHROW THE FRENCH REPUBLIC WITH A REVOLT IN MORROCCO.
TS Allen
In Morocco? Are you sure?
Maybe you are talking about the "Putch" attempt that occured in Algeria during the war between French forces and the Algerian insurgents there?

If it is the case, let me know, I can give you details about that revolt.
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Swe-interest

Lauri Törni in Finnish Army

Post by Swe-interest »

Former Finnish president Mauno Koivisto served with Lauri Törni, alias Larry Thorne, during WWII. Here´s a link to an article about his experiences in swedish, with photo of Lauri/Larry.
http://www.veteraanienperinto.fi/svensk ... _koivi.htm
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi, Allen,
Now I got it.
So, I can write I AM A STUPID FROG :x and you will not believe it, right?
:wink:

Back to Algeria, the main unit that participated to an attempt of "coup d'etat" was the 1st Foreign Paratroopers Regiment (1er Regiment Etranger de Parachutiste). It was in 1961, only 20 years after the beginning of WW2.
So, yes, it is very much possible that there still were German WW2 vets in this unit.
The regiment has been disbanded after the failure of the coup. Only the French officers were "retired" and 12 of them jailed. The foreigners were, most of them, incorporated in other units.
I could elaborate about the why and who of that attempt, but that's too much off-topic here. I will only say that it wasn't really "Vichyste".
Regards
Daniel
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Hanell

Post by Hanell »

Hello all,

don´t know if this is a proper place to post this, but here´s some vets that served both WWII & Vietnam:

http://www.findagrave.com/forums/showfl ... &fpart=all