Whats your favourite anachronism?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Anyone remember Steve McQueen in Bullitt? The chase scene through the streets of San Francisco and of all the turns,hills those high power cars were going there was a green VW seeming to have no trouble keeping up.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Oh Brilliant, Ive just seen a gem! In "Conan the Barbarian", after Arnie kills the witch and meets Subotai, theyre sitting around a campfire discussing what gods each of them prays to....and eating Kentucky Fried Chicken portions!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

the plot was awful, a lot of the detail was awful - but a SUPRISING amount was very good. But then it WAS a remake and remakes are usually dross.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
knopfler

Post by knopfler »

i remember gone with the wind, the town had a lot of telehone posts, in spartacus some of the romans wear watches
"The national arms have been covered with glory. The French troops behaved with value in the combat and its commander with stupidity" Ignacio Zaragoza,
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

How about 'Gladiotor'? It totally Sucked.
yes, but the scene with the Roman Legion battling the Germanic tribes at the beggining was quite good.

K
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Kevin, as classical history student - THATS the bit that sucked the most :-(( I severely wanted to trample all over those vac-formed plastic helmets. Those curves were totally unrealistic and out of place. Sad. I mean - there's a whole great bloody column smack in the middle of Rome with the most famous illustrations in the world - from only twenty years or so before this was set - pictured in EVERY textbook on the Roman Army - and they couldnt even get that right .....
Helmut Von Moltke

Phylo, about Roman war movies, I remember there was a better one than Gladiator, named "Julius Casear", amde a few years back, about Caeasr. The Battle bits are a bit shorter, but I would say a bit mroe realistic than the internsity of Gladiator. Also if you want to check out a Roman battle outside of war movies play 'Rome Total War', which I haven't palyed in years. :wink:

K
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

"Julius Caesar" is about Caesar? Who'd have guessed! LOL Once your parents have censored it for content - seriously - try the recent BBC production of "Rome".......unashamed plug for me old mate Ciaran.
Helmut Von Moltke

Once your parents have censored it for content - seriously - try the recent BBC production of "Rome"
They watched it with me. :wink:

And about the Roman helmets, even if they are made out of the wrong things, they still look like metal. Better than some old movies about Rome in which the Roman soldiers wear armour without anything. Athligh of course in Gladiator, the Emperor (the young one) was not accurate.

K
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Well the painted-over Shermans in Patton are pretty obvious.
Helmut Von Moltke

oh yes, Patton. Reasonable movie, but there are some "anarchoisms" in it. First, Rommel did not look like Rommel at all. And in Normandy it was unrealistic how the US tanks could shoot up Panzers easily. And add on again, the Panzers that attacked Patton's positions in Tunisia are American ones with a Balkenkreuz painted on them.

K
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Nice one in an old 50's classic 'Siege of the Saxons', set in the 12th (?) century.

Normans horsemen chasing Saxons along a river and behind every tree we can see the local council lifebelts. Seems that our ancestors were perhaps more socially conscious than we thought :D
Regards

Howard
Helmut Von Moltke

actually, what was quuite amusing was the excessive use of T34s for the German side in the "Navarone" movies. Not saying that T34s weren't used on the Eastern front, but it was a rarity in the Balkans front.

:D

K
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Kevin, youre forgetting something; you need soldiers and vehicles en masse in a foreign location - you hire the local military. A lot of the Guns of Navarone was actually fimed in Yugoslavia...
Helmut Von Moltke

Yugoslavia.. strange that a communist Yugoslavian army would allow their soldiers to wear Wehrmacht soldiers and for Balkenkreuzes painted on their tanks. LOL! It really is my favourite anarchosim now! :D

K