Spade enclosed in circle turret marking

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

David W
Patron

Spade enclosed in circle turret marking

Post by David W »

I have seen several photos of PzKpfw III in North Africa with a spade (from a playing card) inside a circle as a turret marking. At least one of the photos is of a 15th Pz Div vehicle. Does anyone know anythin more about this symbol
Thanks. Dave.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Spade enclosed in circle turret marking

Post by Christoph Awender »

David W wrote:I have seen several photos of PzKpfw III in North Africa with a spade (from a playing card) inside a circle as a turret marking. At least one of the photos is of a 15th Pz Div vehicle. Does anyone know anythin more about this symbol
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=106054
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Gotcha! :D
Thanks. Dave.
San Martin

Post by San Martin »

15er Pz used single tactical numbers in black to just denote the company, as well as the playing cards to define the companies, but only sometimes/not all the time (and not at the same time, obviously), single coy numbers was more common, usually on the side and forward of the turret. Single Coy nos in black is what I've seen more commonly in use by the 15er Pz in photographs,

21er Pz, which I know a bit more about used the conventional/more widely used system of 3 numbers (111=1st Coy, 1st Pltn, 1st Tank, 0 being Hq usually) in red with a white border, usually written on the back stowage bin on the turret.

I say that because you ask if this was exclusive to the 15th in that other thread. :beer:
"I like to think that, apart from being a bit of a Butcher that I have more to offer" Ron "Chopper" Harris, CFC