German army in WW1&2

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

And this is your explanation for your theory that in WWI people had the choice to go to the army or not?
Yeah, just because you have all the sources from books and sites you have to pick on me don't you? Go correct someone elses answer, sheesh!
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi,

Rodger, and Paul, thanks for your information on conscription in WWI and WWII respectively. Good stuff there, cheers. Do either of you have anything on how often men would undertake a refresher course?

17SS, what do you want? That you can just go around spouting nonsense, and that we will all accept it as fact? Grow up, and mabye learn something from Christoph instead of insulting him.

Cheers,
Jock
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Jock, if you can get a copy of"The Roots of the Blitzkrieg" by James S. Corum you will find all about Hans v Seeckt and how the post WW1 German army was rebuilt. I think it was one of the best books written, it is out in soft cover thru Amazon.

As i remember after thier 2 yrs. were up, the next year they had to report for 30 day refresher, this i believe was kept up for a couple of years,then they tapered down to weeks, untill you were about 50 yrs. old and you were released from your obligation. That i believe is why German Reserve units were so effective,in WW1 the Germans used thier reserve troops just like regular troops after a short brushing up,the Allies on the other hand had no faith it would seem to be in thier reserves.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

17SS, what do you want? That you can just go around spouting nonsense, and that we will all accept it as fact? Grow up, and mabye learn something from Christoph instead of insulting him.
I don't want anything, and FYI I am growing up ATM and whatever you say isn't going to speed up the process. Now, I wasn't insulting Christoph at all, it's just that for example he doesn't question Kevin but then it's me, isn't it? Instead of questioning me, why can't Christoph just say i'm wrong? It makes me look like a jerk when i'm questioned when i'm clearly wrong, but then it feels more right when you jsut say "No, that's not right <correction>*
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

thanks Rodger, intresting stuff. I wonder though, what was involved in "refreshment" training, was it target practice, etc?

And about conscripts, it would hardly be called that in the Greater German Reich, since at that time it was considered a national duty and honour to serve in the German Army, which was regarded as the German people in arms or something like that. That's why the 100000 limit of the Reichswehr was considered such an insult.

edited by Tom
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

edited by Tom
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I can't believe what I just had to clean up!

17SS, get over it. While Christoph may sometimes come across as a little brusque, he's usually right. If you posted something baseless, and you cannot possibly defend it, accept it when you get spanked. Face it, if we were all standing around talking face to face, someone quite likely would have simply told you to 'shut the hell up!'

Your age is immaterial, trust me. Just think a little before you post things off the cuff.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

I find it alright to get spanked, but not in the form of a question, I prefer it to be told straight that i'm wrong or right.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

He doesn't use that technique just to pick on you. He shows incredulity like that all the time.

If you have a personalproblem with Christoph and his approach to things, take it up with him by PM.

Let's get on with the thread.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

HvM,From what i can get, up untill the were about or over 27yrs. old they would be recalled for 2wks. training every fall,these would be first line reserves if recalled.They were probably given a complete but shortend training program which i believe would have marksman ship. The old Imperial Army held war games in the fall, the two yr. men(infantry) were then released, first yr. men advanced to 2yr. olds and a new class entered, that way the German army had a very large 1st class reserve force. After WW1 the Germans were forbidden to have such a system so as not being able to build up a reserve of trained manpower. It must be remembered that it takes 1st class NCOs to train a first class armyand in the 100,000 man army over half were NCOs who were expected to be able to step in ranks 2 steps higher than the rank they held, same for officers.
vSeekt held that one platoon in each infantry company would be commanded by a senior NCO,he believed that these should not be sitting in rear areas,they proved in WW1 that they were a valuable asset to the command structure.