Waffen - SS camo smocks in use by Luftwaffe?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Helmut Von Moltke

Waffen - SS camo smocks in use by Luftwaffe?

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi, in this picture of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 2 Hermann Göring in action in Italy in 1943, the Luftwaffe Panzer grenadiers are wearing Waffen - SS camo smocks, I wonder if it was the norm for this division? After all Goering always liked his men well equipped, etc. thanks for any help.

Kevin
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

According to Rolf Michaelis in his book "Die Waffen-SS, Uniformen und Abzeichen", Michaelis-Verlag, Berlin, 2001, over 5000 pieces of SS oakleaf pattern camouflage clothing were taken by the Hermann Goring Division in spring 1943, at its muster, and used to equip the Panzer Grenadier, Pionier (engineer), and Aufklarungs (reconnaissance) units of that division.

He speculates: "This probably happened because nobody was convinced by the Wehrmacht camouflage, and also to present oneself as exclusive."

I have also seen several photos of various Heer units wearing Waffen SS camouflage clothing, usually during the early stages of the war in Russia, and as units, with each man similarly equipped, not a one-off acquisition by an individual soldier. However, these photos have shown only smocks. The HG Division is the only non-Waffen SS unit I've seen with the helmet covers as well.

Interestingly, as can be seen from your posted picture, the patterns of camouflage worn by the HG Division weren't always oakleaf (the patterns in this picture appear to be palm and plane tree in addition to oakleaf), and I have seen photos of that unit from much earlier in the war, before it was expanded into a full division, wearing Waffen SS camouflage. This seems to indicate that the wearing of Waffen SS camouflage was already an established practice well before 1943, and that the number of pieces issued in total was certainly higher than those 5000 oakleaf items.

To clarify, prior to the January 1943 expansion, the HG Division was the HG Regiment. It first saw action in the invasion of Poland.
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

Think this caption is incorrect.
-should read "HG troops in training france 1942".

The records indicate smocks issued in summer 1942, in limited amounts (about 5K) to forward combat units only (Peterson prints this order in his book on HG)
No other evidence that HG got any other issue of these smocks and helmet covers. Note that the photos are always early waffen SS camo patterns and cut of covers and smocks.

These same units were extensivly photographed in training in Brittany, France, 1942, when the HG formations were refitted and upgraded through regt to brigade to division.

These same combat units went to Tunisia via Italy in early 1943 and are photographed in same smocks in tropical gear.

The HG units in Tunisia were wiped out (mostly killed or captured) later that spring. While a few with smocks didn't go to Tunisia, most did. I'm sure, a few were airlifted out as important cadre, or wounded. Most went 6 foot underground or into pens with their smocks.

There is some scant photo evidence that a few HG had these smocks in Sicily/ Italy but the majority didn't . By late 1943 most were issued the new LW ground troops smocks in splinterB. This is the hallamrk of most HG troops in Italy. There seems to have been an issue of light weight HBT marsh camo in 1944 also (including panzer wraps!).

There is A photo of a HG trooper wearing WSS smock as late as Fall 1944. But this has to taken as an extreme rarity.

Some of the nicest photos are color US showing the capture of HG officers of HQ unit, by US infantry of the "big red one". Think these are from Tunisia.
Paul
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

thanks for the detailed information Paul! :up:

Where might I find these intresting pictures? thanks.

Kevin
kniebolo

camo smocks for HG

Post by kniebolo »

Indeed, in photographs dated summer 1942 the 10./III Kradschützen-Abteilung, later re-designated to 2./Aufkl-Abt. "HG" while on manoeuvers in Mont-de-Marsan, Brittany are wearing their camouflage smocks. And this is many months before Tunisia.
kniebolo

Post by kniebolo »

The photos of 10./III K. can be seen on "Bmw Motorcycles in World War II: R12/R75" (Schiffer Military History)