Help on research of Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
ibrahim ahmad

Help on research of Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia

Post by ibrahim ahmad »

Dear All,

I intend to start a research project to find all relevent info on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia such as U-181, however i am starting from scratch though.

Nonetheless , i WILL DEFINITELY make a homepage at the very least !!

As such i would really appreciate it if any of you guys could provide photocopies/pics/info/etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Cheers,
Ibrahim,
Singapore.
Last edited by ibrahim ahmad on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for all relevant info & items on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.sg/
panzermahn
Associate

Re: Help on research of Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia

Post by panzermahn »

ibrahim ahmad wrote:Dear All,

I intend to start a research project to find all relevent info on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia such as U-181. All of which will then be presented to the Singapore History Museum whom ive already contacted and given their blessings, however i am starting from scratch though.

Nonetheless , i WILL DEFINITELY make a homepage at the very least !!

As such i would really appreciate it if any of you guys could provide photocopies/pics/info/etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Cheers,
Ibrahim,
Singapore.
Selamat Petang.

Apa khabar saudara?

Saya dari Malaysia dan juga amat berminat dalam sejarah Perang Dunia Kedua.

Buat masa kini saya sedang menetap di Pulau Pinang dan saya juga membuat beberapa kajian tentang pengkalan tentera laut Jerman (bagi unit kapal selam dan juga "hilfkreuzer")

Apa saya dapati adalah OKM di bawah Laksamana Agung Doenitz memerintah Kapten Wilhelm Dommes untuk mengetuai dan menerajui suatu flotilla kapal selam yang berpangkalan di Asia Tenggara selain di Yokohama, Jepun. Flotilla ini dikenali sebagai Monsun Flotilla dan Pulau Jerejak diguna sebagai pengkalan kapal selam Jerman sebelum mereka menyerang kapal-kapal pihak Berikat. Pada akhir tahun 1944 dan awal tahun 1945, pengkalan ini dipindah ke Singapura dan kemudian pada musim panas 1945, pengkalan ini dipindah ke Betawi (Jakarta).

Saya berhasrat untuk menulis satu Artikel tentang pengkalan kapal selam Jerman di Malaysia dan SIngapura dan buat masa kini saya juga sedang mencari maklumat tentant fakta ini.

Untuk pengetahuan saudara, suatu unit B-Dienst tentera laut Jerman (Beobachtungdienst Kriegsmarine) yang berfungsi untuk mendengar dan memintas komunikasi di antara pihak Berikat ditempat di Palembang, Indonesia. Maklumat ini diberitahu kepada saya oleh Encik Ralph Modders, bekas pegawai tentera laut Inggeris yang datang ke Malaysia untuk memberi suatu syarahan tentang serangan Jepun ke atas Tanah Melayu dan kejatuhan Singapura pada tahun 2001. Apa yang berlaku kepada unit ini tidak diketahui.

Salam hormat

Panzermahn
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi Ibrahim,

http://uboat.net/ops/monsun3.htm. All the information is there.

http://www.sharkhunters.com/historya.htm many memories of veterans of U181 there.

Kevin

(P.S. Panzermahn, please speak in English.)
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Hello Ibrahim.

Here is some more information that will hopefully be usefull.

As source for general information and introduction:

"Hitler's Grey Wolves: U-boats in the Indian Ocean" Paterson, Lawrence, ISBN: 1853676152, Greenhill Books, 2004.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1853 ... y&v=glance

I haven't read this one yet but I have it on my book list, and I have heard good things about it. I do own two of the authors previous works and they are both first class. The above mentioned book also have about 80 pictures that might be of interest, however, I strongly advice you to contact the author before reproducing them.

Kevin also suggested some good links, especially the first one. It will give a good introduction to the subject.

As for U 181 and Lüth, there are some sources available out there. The first that springs to mind is:

"U-Boat Ace" Vause, Jordan, ISBN: 1557508631, Naval Institute Press, 2001.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1557 ... e&n=266239

Hope that will get you started, and good luck with the project. :up:
ibrahim ahmad

Post by ibrahim ahmad »

Thanks magnus & Panzermahnn & Helmut,

Ive already ordered the book by Paterson. Plus already scavanged the entire net for info.

Heres a preview pic of what i will be posting in my website soon....
The famous U-181 in Singapore.
Courtesy of Francois Saez.

Cheers,
Ibrahim,
Singapore.
Looking for all relevant info & items on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.sg/
Helmut Von Moltke

excellent display Ibrahim, very nice! :up:
Helmut Von Moltke

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:excellent display Ibrahim, very nice! Thanks for sharing! :up:
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Some translations of German captions to English (I apologized for any bad translation, I never had the chance to practice my German in Malaysia :( )

1. "Besatzung von U-181 in Singapur" = Crew of U-181 in Singapore

2. Begruessungsanssprache durch den Chef im Suedraum Fregattenkapitan Domnes = Welcoming Speech by Chief in South room (?) Commander (Wilhelm)Domnes

3. Im Hintergrund unser Bootskommando Kapt Freiwald = In the background of our Uboat Command, Captain Freiwald

4. Japonische Gedenktafel an dieser stelle (Malaya) begann de invasion gegen Singapur 1942 = Japanese memorial here in (Malaya) began the invasion against Singapore.

5. Von feindfahrt zurueck zum zweitenmal nach singapur = against enemy, travel to Singapore for the second time

6. Verleihung des Deustchen Kreuzes in Gold = Awards of German Crosses in Gold (strange one coz I only saw Iron cross 1st class and U-boat badge)

7. Land in Sicht = Land in sight

Regards
Panzermahn