MG34 at the hip....

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

phylo_roadking
Patron

MG34 at the hip....

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, just seen film of the DAK arriving in North Africa, and there was a VERY clear clip of a normal infantry-style MG34 mounted on a pintle on a boat that was docking, with dangling ammo belt.....AND a shoulder sling! And quite loose too, as if it could be fired from the hip like a later U.S. M60. Has anyone ever heard or seen this being done????

phylo
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: MG34 at the hip....

Post by Christoph Awender »

phylo_roadking wrote:All, just seen film of the DAK arriving in North Africa, and there was a VERY clear clip of a normal infantry-style MG34 mounted on a pintle on a boat that was docking, with dangling ammo belt.....AND a shoulder sling! And quite loose too, as if it could be fired from the hip like a later U.S. M60. Has anyone ever heard or seen this being done????

phylo
Yes it is described in every german infantry training manual.

\Christoph
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Where on earth is the left hand supposed to grip??? Or is it a hang on the shoulder like Arnie and fed belt with lefthand???

phylo
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Never looked closer at it but these are the two images which are in such manuals (not from me because I am at work right now)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ah! the top one is what i meant, he's holding the folded bipod. That makes sense.

The other pic looks SO bloody clumsy lol

phylo
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

...brought to mind this photo from Paul Carell's "Der Russlandkrieg, Fotografiert von Soldaten"...

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

ooooooouch! Kinda hot on the left hand!

phylo
MikeWindheuser
Supporter

Post by MikeWindheuser »

ooooooouch! Kinda hot on the left hand!

phylo
I doubt he's firing it, just running along with it, but if he had fired it recently, im sure it would be most painful, though it is doubtful he would put himself through that pain,

Mike
Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

The best fitting german term would be "stehendschiessend", either with a MP (Maschinenpistole), or a MG (Maschinengewehr), without direct aiming at the potential target.

A typical combat case, every former machinegunner will know, nothing very special at all.

Michael

P.S. At Shilo, Canada, 1979, a few comrades and me were lucky to spoil several hundred rounds with the UZI, from a standing position, no aiming at all, against some "Pappkameraden".

The result was more than terrible at that time, I did wish we had an older MP 38/40, or even a Sturmgewehr 44, but NOT the UZI, what a waste of ammuniation, Scheiss UZI! :down:

Michael
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ah, but the UZI was designed for an army that in its formative months relied on firepower - old Stens and PPsH's - to make up for lack of numbers and heavier weapons. A citizen army of often un-uniformed volunteers, who could "point and squirt". Then as the Isreali Army developed it became VERY much an armoured infantry army, so short "telescoped barrel" weapons were necessary. AND they needed firepower and portability for ahem "internal security" purposes. Nowadays of course that need is filled by Colt AR-15s produced under licence.

phylo
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

phylo, all I can say about the so called "reliable" UZI, is @{

At that day at Shilo, we had exactly 2000 rounds to spoil, with only 5! UZIs, my UZI malfunctioned more than a dozen times, within a few hours.

So much about the so called "reliable" UZI, instead of a UZI, I would prefer the old STEN, and the MPs, mentioned above.

Michael
S. Paridon

Post by S. Paridon »

Right hand on the grip, left hand would hold the sling or bipod.
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

both the 34 and MG42 can be fired from the hip, the sling is attached to the grip only. It is slung over the right shoulder and the gun is held close to the belt line or lower, allowing the sling to support the weight. The left hand then holds the bipod out at an angle to control the muzzle movement. As an MG42 owner, this is one position I am NOT willing to try!!!!..............................B
S. Paridon

Post by S. Paridon »

I too own an MG42, and it isn't that bad. :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

bloody hell, have just seen a three second clip on the box of a DAK infantry section charging and firing on the move, slow motion - and theres a MG34 being fired at mid-port with the box magazine...with the soldier holding the bottom of the barrel housing in his left hand! oooooooooOOOOO!
stick nasty mess to try and heal in the desert.....

phylo