Russians Paratroopers

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Vladimir, many thanks. Were these brigades considered crack-formations?
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hi, Mikko.

Excuse me - my English is very poor. If I understood you right - you asked were soviet airborne units shock or strike formations?

Yes, they SUPPOSED.
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Thanks Vladimir, that's what I meant. Do you know why the units weren't the shock formations they were supposed to be?
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Mikko,
It is very difficult question. And with my poor English it is very difficult to explain.
To Soviet airborne units was said that they were "shoking". But soldiers of these units were usual men with usual weapons. So in any battle success was depend of strongness one of sides.
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Vladimir, thanks again for the answer. Could the problem be summed up by saying that the paratrooper brigades didn't have the special training and equipment they were supposed to have -- just ordinary conscripts or reservists who were for some reason formed into a paratrooper brigade? Or were they training to become fully qualified paratroopers, but their training was interrupted in order to get cannon-fodder for the front?
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Mikko, they HAD training as paras (to jump from air) but they WERE used as infantry. I think it was because lack of usual infantry. But paras had too little artillery so losses were so great.