Your unit during active service?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Nordwest

Your unit during active service?

Post by Nordwest »

Hello Feldgrau Forum!

Where did you serve during your active time in military service, is there a website conc. to your former unit?

I did my service time in the late 1970s, assigned to the Panzerbataillon 1./74, at Altenwalde/Cuxhaven in Northern Germany.

"Das Eisenschwein" / Website of the former 74 http://www.daseisenschwein.de/

A very informative website with lots of information and more than a handful of photos from 1959 to 2003.

Please, share some links conc. to your former unit...

Thank you!

Michael
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Michael! I don't know much about the modern German Army (except that the Leopard 2A6 is a sweet tank :D) but I remeber reading that most of the Panzer Battalions trace their lineage back to WWII Panzer Battalions. Is this true?
Which historical formation does 1./74 identify with?

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

David, sorry, but I see no relation to a german Panzerbataillon in the 1970s/1980s...?

The origin "History" about the 74, this would be another thread...

BTW, did you ever "ride" a Leopard 1/2, I bet not, for you are an American...?

Michael
Commissar D, the Evil

BTW, did you ever "ride" a Leopard 1/2, I bet not, for you are an American...?
I WISH!!!!! :D

No, I've never ridden in one, but I've seen some really excellent pictures. There is a tanker on the AFV News DG group from Belgium, I believe, who has posted some really great pictures of the latest Leopard.

Unfortunately, when the DG moved to a more secure format, the old information wasn't kept, so I'm waiting for him to post again.

Best,
David
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Michael, this is one of the pictures Mr. Delsing posted on the AFV News DG:

Best,
David
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

I did my military service in the medical corps of the Dutch army. Being a medic I frequently got detached to other units that went on manouvers and (of course) got to shoot for a bit with every weapon and drive every vehicle as a thank you for my services, however humble they may have been.
Of the mid 1980's inventory of the Dutch army the Leopard is the only vehicle I haven't had a go at. Sad, sad, sad. I did drive an M-109 for a couple of hundred meters but even that can't compare to the only close up experience I've had with a Leo.
Once I was driving my Landrover ambulance through reasonably rough terrain and making quite a show of it. Cross-country racing, peddle to the metal and all that and loving it.
Suddenly I heard this deep rumble behind me that gradually rose to a deafening roar as a Leopard overtook me through even rougher terrain at a speed that made my own look something like a snailspace.
IMPRESSIVE!
How I would love to drive one of those beasts!

btw: My unit was the medical company of the 43 Infantry Brigade.

Cheers, Paul
haen1
Supporter

unit during active service

Post by haen1 »

What was my unit ?
Which Army?
The German (Waffen SS) ? or
The Royal Netherlands Light ackack ?
Take your pick.
HN

p.. there also was a Netherlands Red Cross Ambulance Corps. (more to chose from)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

As an infantryman, I served in 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division.

Sergeant of the Guard, Marine Detachment, USS John F. Kennedy (CV67)

Transferring to the Air Wing, Station Operations and Engineering Squadron, MCAS Cherry Point, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron (MALS) 12, MCAS Iwakuni Japan, MALS-14, MCAS Cherry Point.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

When the Australian Army purchased its Leopard tanks I thought very seriously about leaving my anti tank platoon and joining the Catering Corps. then I woke up to the fact that they were on our side. Now we are replacing them with second hand rubbish from the USA. Something to do with the free trade agreement I guess. :D

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Hans,
When the Australian Army purchased its Leopard tanks I thought very seriously about leaving my anti tank platoon and joining the Catering Corps.
@{

They outsourced catering corps as well for you information - so bad choice either way.

I spent time in the Australian Infantry then the Aussie Corps of Signals and finished after 10yrs of fun. Spent time in East Timor dodged a few bullets in the first week but thats about it. Finished as a Hauptmann (Captain).

No website link to my unit(s). The Australian Defence Force relunctantly allows units to publish info on the web and most units have a webiste on the Defence Intranet which the public has no access to. You can still find a few.

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Helmut Von Moltke

Re: unit during active service

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

haen1 wrote:What was my unit ?
Which Army?
The German (Waffen SS) ? or
The Royal Netherlands Light ackack ?
Take your pick.
HN

p.. there also was a Netherlands Red Cross Ambulance Corps. (more to chose from)
Waffen SS. :D But I guess, Landstorm "Nederland"? Am I right? :D just my guess.... :D

helmut
VonderSaar
Supporter

Post by VonderSaar »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Hi Michael, this is one of the pictures Mr. Delsing posted on the AFV News DG:

Best,
David
Can you post the link with these pictures? Im a big Leo fan, too. I dont ride him, but i sit on and in it, its cool 8)

here a lot of good other ones, from the beginning to the last leo:
http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/bw_kpz_leopard_2-a.htm
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Here some shots of the 74 from the year 2003:

Link: http://community.webshots.com/album/293040256DASCUp

The most impressive Panzer at my time with the 74 was the "Bergepanzer-Leopard", at that time we called this MONSTER "Bergewanne".

Another websearch for this will bring out many photos.

David, I will look for the history of the 74 before 1959, please be patient...

Michael
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Michael, no hurry from me, I was just curious! :D

VonderSarr, the problem is that AFV News switched formats and the old pictures are gone. I found this one by doing a google image search for "Leopard 2A6 AFV News" but only came up with four hits or so. I saved a few of Mr. Delsing's photos on my computer.

But, if you join AFV News, you can post and ask him to post more pics--that would be really cool!

Try

http://com-central.net/index.php?name=F ... forum&f=73

Best,
David
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

What I remember about the LEO 1/2, is the shooting range, in Germany (Bergen), and in Canada (Shilo)...

This, in german language "Abschussknall" is horrible, even 50 Meters behind the tank, with double ear-protection... (Tannenbäume + Mickey-Mouses), even the "Abschussknall" makes you jump around...

You feel the "Pressure", the "Luftdruck", this Grenade, the LEO just shot.

An amazing, but not a very nice experience, this Monster was build to KILL.

A German Tank, thats it! %E

Michael