Monte Cassino

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Firebomb Fritz

Monte Cassino

Post by Firebomb Fritz »

Who ordered the bombing of the monstary at Monte Cassino? was it Field Marshall Alexander or his American counterpart (i can't remember his name) ?
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

The request to bomb it was initially made by Major General Francis Tuker (UK), CO of the Indian Division.

Lieutenant General Bernard Freyberg (NZ/UK) basically took Tuker's request, made it his own and sent it up the chain to Clark.

Clark (US) was opposed to bombing the hill, but under pressure from home to the scene, he allowed his subordinate, General Harold Alexander (UK) (Clark's Chief), to make the final call. This was moreso out of politics between the US and the UK (aka WW2 2).

So, technically speaking, Alexander gave the order.

This', to me, one of the interesting points about Clark. There was HUGE support from back home in support FOR the bombing on Cassino, even amongst Catholics. Clark did catch some hell for not supporting it intially, but that eventually waned.

Doc
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

you are absolutely correct on all points (ww2 2) lol
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
Firebomb Fritz

Post by Firebomb Fritz »

Thanks
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

I happened to tour the Abbe of Montecassino a few years ago. They had one section of their museum dedicated to the bombing. I got the distinct impression that they have not yet forgiven Mark Clark.
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

makes sense. but i respect clark
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
behblc
Associate

Rome.

Post by behblc »

When Clark decided to take Rome he allowed Kesselrings lads to escape...headline of Rome meant a lot to him but it may in the longrunhave cost lives.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
101stDoc
Associate

Re: Rome.

Post by 101stDoc »

behblc wrote:When Clark decided to take Rome he allowed Kesselrings lads to escape...headline of Rome meant a lot to him but it may in the longrunhave cost lives.
No doubt the Anzio campaign and the resulting schlogging to Rome could have been avoided. Yet one giant SNAFU in a cast of who knows how many...

Doc
behblc
Associate

The Soft under Belly.

Post by behblc »

Churchill though that Italy was going to be the "soft under belly".....it was anything but.
The 1970's T.V. series shown many times since described it as a "tough old gut" in contrast to Churchills words ......Dame Astwith (think that is correct but won't mind being set right !) spoke of " the D-Day Dodgers" the men who had an easy life in Italy rather than being in England preparing for D-Day. " Big mistake....Huge !"

British historian Prof. Richard Holmes wrote and narrated a programme for BBC describing he battle for Cassio as he walked over the ground , and veterans from both sides told their stories.
Well worth seeing .
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

C. Udentz

Monte Cassino

Post by C. Udentz »

Who are you trying to fool?

You watch the BBC far too much. Is this the sum and substance of your knowledge?

Tell us something about the battle, if you have even heard of it apart from sound-bites.
behblc
Associate

No ...its not.

Post by behblc »

Cal.
Did I step on your toes. Sorry must be my big feet.
Regret to say I like listening to a man who talks as well as Richard Holmes does and I make no apology to you.
Given the choice Cal and I believe I have that choice I can read what I want and if I have a spare 30 minutes I can use it as I choose to do so.
Anything else ?
A.E. Housman.

Doman

Post by Doman »

Who won the Battle of Monte Cassino?

Good site in English about Polish Resistance in WW2:

http://www.ww2.pl/

Sites about Polish September Campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Sep ... #Aftermath

http://www.1939.pl - very good Polish site about Defence War in 1939.

Very good photogallery of almost 250 photographs, there are also photographs of Polish soldiers fighting at Monte Cassino.

http://www.ww2.pl/apps/?command=fotografie/pokaz

Very good site about weapons of Polish Army - 1918 - 1939 (but unfortunetly in Polish), with quite big Photogallery (pl. - FOTOGALERIA)

http://www.wojsko18-39.internetdsl.pl/w ... /index.htm
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

It was on May 18 1944, that after many failed attempts by Allied forces to conquer Monte Cassino, this strategic point blocking access to Rome, that the 2nd Polish Corps succeeded after a bloody battle lasting seven days. 860 Polish soldiers died and 2800 were wounded. The Battle of Monte Cassino, won by Polish forces, has its place in history as one of the most decisive Battles of World War II.

Regards
UK Lightgunner

Post by UK Lightgunner »

Benoit Douville wrote:It was on May 18 1944, that after many failed attempts by Allied forces to conquer Monte Cassino, this strategic point blocking access to Rome, that the 2nd Polish Corps succeeded after a bloody battle lasting seven days. 860 Polish soldiers died and 2800 were wounded. The Battle of Monte Cassino, won by Polish forces, has its place in history as one of the most decisive Battles of World War II.

Regards
Its not that black and white saying the Polish won the battle by themselves,a lot of people died wearing down the Germans in previous attacks so to say the Poles won it is an insult to those very people,are you Polish by any chance?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

UK, I've never seen Benoit insult anyone intentionally. I think he was referring specifically to the Polish success on that particular day, as opposed to the whole battle.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!