Veterans: The nicest memory of the war?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Stalingrad
Contributor

Veterans: The nicest memory of the war?

Post by Stalingrad »

Here is another "Veterans question". So dear Veterans, would you like to share a good/funny memory?

Kind Regards,
S.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

Hi Stalingrad:
.The trouble is there were very few if any good memories of the war.
I do remember one episode which could be considered funny.
As a dispatch rider I got gasoline where ever I could find it, in fact I even syphoned a tankful from S. Dietrich's car once.
One day I saw a airplane drop a gas tank, one of those tanks to carry extra fuel. I found the tank in a wood lot and sure enough there were still several gallons in it. I knew aviation fuel has a higher rating then ordinary gasoline so I added some oil to it but apparently not enough. From the day on my bike was hard to start and run pretty lousy. This went on for some time and one day one of our dispatch riders ended up in the hospital and was not expected to return so I knew there was another bike available. The next day when returning from the COs office when seeing a Jabo coming my way instead hightailing to cover I left my bike right in the middle of the road and for sure he went after my bike. Would you believe he missed it, even as I had layed the bike over so he could see it better. I ended up putting a hand grenade on it and walked back and reported my bike destroyed by a Jabo. Everybody remarked how lucky I was and I collected my new bike.
Gerhard
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Thank you for sharing your story Gerhard. :D
You said: "As a dispatch rider I got gasoline where ever I could find it, in fact I even syphoned a tankful from S. Dietrich's car once." Did you had the chance of meeting S. Dietrich?

Regards,
S.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Gerhard, you and HaEn seem to have more in common than you thought! He had a motorcycle v. Jabo episode, too! You seem to have fared a little better...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

Stalingrad
I met Dietrich when I had to lead him to my batterie in Holland to watch a rocket being launched.
While he was given a tour by our CO I helped myself to a tank full of gasoline, After watching a successful launch he gave me what was left from a bottle of wine he had been toasting with.
My entire conversation with him consisted of "Jawohl Oberstgruppenführer".
Gerhard
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Thank you once again Gerhard for sharing another story!
By the way, were you in Heer or Waffen SS?
Wo ist die Feldküche?
gerhard2
Supporter

Post by gerhard2 »

He Tom:
I had many motorcycle v. Jabo episodes but when I needed it that turkey let me down.
Gerhard
Stalingrad - I was with the Waffen SS, if you search under my name gerhard and gerhard2 you can read about some of my experiences.
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

I'll do a search and read more about your other experiences, Gerhard.
Thank you again.

Regards,
S.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

Summer 1943 in the Ukraine ... ein Meer von Sonnenblumen so weit das Auge reicht ... a sea of sunflowers as far as the eye could see ...
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

... as per a veteran of GJR138 ...
John W. Howard

Church Bells

Post by John W. Howard »

According to my father, who was a US soldier, it was waking to the sound of church-bells ringing down in the valleys of Alsace; their sound could almost make him forget he was at war. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

Thank you for your replies, Gerhard. I always like reading your posts.

Brooke
haen1
Supporter

memory

Post by haen1 »

A nice memory was, when i got discharge from the hospital, and nobody seemed to know where I belonged or was supposed to go.
So I got sent to a Div. staff H.q. in Uddel. My right arm still bandaged and all.
They did not need a kradmelder, could not ride very well with a bandaged up hand anyway.
So, I was "trained" in about an hour to be a switchboard operator.
It even was entered in my soldbuch that i was now attached to the Nachrichten stab.
There were great festive "things'going on. The high brass had some of their wives come over, and they were preparing a banquet in the hotel kitchen for "Advent".
When I asked for my ration of rye bread, a sour sturmmann, nearly threw me a hunk
An Obergruppenfuhrer saw it, and sent him and me into the kitchen to get something better.
A little later, we came out, and HE was carrying my tray heaped with goodies.
I got two hours "off" to celebrate, and once the ladies knew that "the kid"
with the brand new War merit Cross with swords, and the Wounded medal, was there, they would come by, once in a while, some would tweak my cheeks :oops: , and bring me some more goodies.
Next day, they stole my uniform and other clothing, and washed, and ireoned them. By that time they also had found out where I was supposed to go, so I went, looking like a million Reichsmarks.
HN.
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Ave Haen,

I didn't notice until now that you lived in Oregon. Where in Oregon do you live?

Vale,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

I got two hours "off" to celebrate, and once the ladies knew that "the kid" with the brand new War merit Cross with swords, and the Wounded medal, was there, they would come by, once in a while, some would tweak my cheeks , and bring me some more goodies.
Awwww... You did look quite handsome in your uniform, and VERY young.

Brooke