Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Jacko and Allen!

Günther Prien is a very good guess... but wrong! And Allen, to my knowledge no Kriegsmarine Officer that served on the "Schlesvig-Holstein" (your antiquated German Battleship I suppose...) that bombarded the Westerplatte in Danzig in September 1939 recieved the KC.

My Kriegsmarine Riddle Officer was awarded the first KC (of all branches) on/in one of WWII's most famous fronts/battles...

See you, :wink:

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

...in the year 1944!

Krollspell
Ichi
Supporter

Post by Ichi »

i'm sorry dok, i've been kinda busy doing research for my website. I'll look into it again later today ;)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And yet another clue for what kind of boat(s) our mystery RKT commanded...

I'm starting to run out of (good) clues...

Krollspell
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

This is the Möwe - a Raubvogel Class Torpedoboat.
The officer also has what appears to be a Destroyer war badge just below
his Iron Cross... but still no idea of who he is.

waleed
Ichi
Supporter

Post by Ichi »

I'm, sorry i didn't have time to react sooner but:

Your clues shorten the list to:

10.28 - 08.29 OLt.z.S. Fritz Berger (RK)
09.34 - 09.36 Kptlt. Reinicke (RK)
02.43 - 06.44 Kptlt. Helmut Bastian (RK)

The only one to recieve a RK in 1944 (03.11.44) was...

Kptlt. Helmut Bastian.

His dad, Max Bastian (an Admiral) recieved his RK at the same day...
If i'm not mistaken Helmut also spend some time in Holland during the war .

http://www.deutsche-marinesoldaten.de/l ... astian.htm
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

I believe some have been left out of your list Ichi

According to the Doktor himself several naval officers received RK's in 44.

from the dok himself... :D
Helmut Bastian (b. 17.11.1916 in Kiel). Kapitänleutnant und Führer einer Sprengboot-flottille (Kleinkampfverband). Recieved KC on 3.11.44.

Herbert Berrer (b. 02.02.1921 in Stuttgart-Botnang). Oberfernschreibmatrose, einzelkämpfer im K.d.K.-Verband. Recieved KC on 5.8.44.

Walter Gerhold (b. 08.06.1921 in Benolpe (Sauerland)). Marine-Schreiber-Obergefreiter, Einmanntorpedofahrer im Kleinkampf-Flottille 361. Recieved KC on 6.7.44.

Johann Krieg (b. 14.03.1919 in Lomnitz, Kreis Hirschberg/Schlesien). Oberleutnant zur See, Chef d. Kleinkampf-flottille 361. Recieved KC on 8.7.44.

Alfred Vetter (b. 24.05.1923 in Kiel). Leutnant (V.), Gruppenführer i.d. Marine-Kleinkampf-Flottille 211. Recieved KC on 12.8.44.
...and all from the Kriegsmarine Kleinkampfverbände.

I think he's been teasing us 8)

Waleed
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

@ Dirlewanger:

yesp, you got English sound on this one.
Regards

Howard
Ichi
Supporter

Post by Ichi »

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:I believe some have been left out of your list Ichi

According to the Doktor himself several naval officers received RK's in 44.

from the dok himself... :D
Helmut Bastian (b. 17.11.1916 in Kiel). Kapitänleutnant und Führer einer Sprengboot-flottille (Kleinkampfverband). Recieved KC on 3.11.44.

Herbert Berrer (b. 02.02.1921 in Stuttgart-Botnang). Oberfernschreibmatrose, einzelkämpfer im K.d.K.-Verband. Recieved KC on 5.8.44.

Walter Gerhold (b. 08.06.1921 in Benolpe (Sauerland)). Marine-Schreiber-Obergefreiter, Einmanntorpedofahrer im Kleinkampf-Flottille 361. Recieved KC on 6.7.44.

Johann Krieg (b. 14.03.1919 in Lomnitz, Kreis Hirschberg/Schlesien). Oberleutnant zur See, Chef d. Kleinkampf-flottille 361. Recieved KC on 8.7.44.

Alfred Vetter (b. 24.05.1923 in Kiel). Leutnant (V.), Gruppenführer i.d. Marine-Kleinkampf-Flottille 211. Recieved KC on 12.8.44.
...and all from the Kriegsmarine Kleinkampfverbände.

I think he's been teasing us 8)

Waleed
Agreed BUT those three are the only THREE Möwe, boat shown by the same dok you quoted, officers to recieve the RK ;)

So that's why the list went down to 3... I do read the clues ya know ;)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

My dear Gentlemen!

The clues so far...

1. A Kriegsmarine officer.
2. The first RKT (of all branches) on/in a very famous front/battle.
3. In the year 1944.
4. Waleed correctly identified the Möwe, a Torpedo boat.

About Helmut Bastian and his fellow RKT of the Kleinkampfverbände. These heoric officers and sailors accomplished victories under severe circustances but none of them sailed or rode anything near as big as the Möwe on their award winning actions. But to keep the fire burning I'll throw in a fifht clue:

5. Norway

That got your brains jumping, or... :wink:

Krollspell
Last edited by Doktor Krollspell on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Btw, Helmut Bastian's father Admiral Max Bastian recieved the Knight's Cross of the Kriegsverdienstkreuz, and not the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

Regards,

Krollspell
Ichi
Supporter

Post by Ichi »

Doktor Krollspell wrote:Btw, Helmut Bastian's father Admiral Max Bastian recieved the Knight's Cross of the Kriegsverdienstkreuz, and not the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

Regards,

Krollspell
Damn you LOL i never said he DID recieve the KCotIC all i said was he recieved HIS RK at the same day as his son ;)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Well Gentlemen...

This appears to be a panzer-nut too hard to crack... :shock: I will post the right answer at the latest on Sunday morning. Then another member can post a new Photo riddle. But here are the clues one last time so bring on your best research and cross-referencing skills:

1. A Kriegsmarine officer.
2. The first RKT (of all branches) on/in a very famous front/battle.
3. In the year 1944.
4. Waleed correctly identified the Möwe, a Torpedo boat.
5. Norway

And here's the two last clues for all Feldgrauian riddle fans...

6. The most famous photographer in the Third Reich.
7. And yes, our mystery Kriegsmarine Officer also recieved the Oakleaves later on.

Jacko! I know that you know that Father and Son Bastian didn't reciece the same Ritterkreuz... :wink: I was just stating the obvious for all the non-Kriegsmarine fans out there... an occupational habit I'm afraid :D

With best regards,

Krollspell
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Okay, here's a guess...

Korvettenkapitän Hoffmann, Heinrich
KC: 07.06.1944 as Chef 5.Torpedobootflottille
Oakleaves: 11.07.1944 as Korvettenkapitän, Chef 5.Torpedobootflottille

This is a quick research and I have not cross-checked dates etc.
also in doubt if it is the same man or the name is a coinsidence (trick-clue).

The picture I could find of Hoffmann is of a later date as he is shown
in his Bundes marine uniform... well Krollspell are we any closer to the
answer?

Waleed
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And we have a winnner... Waleed! :D The right answer was indeed Korvettenkapitän Heinrich Hoffmann, Chef 5. Torpedoboots-Flotille who was awarded his Ritterkreuz on June 7, 1944 as the first german thus awarded while fighting the invading Allies. He later won the Oakleaves (no. 524) on July 11, 1944 while commanding the same unit. Here are some information on Heinrich Hoffmann (not the Führer's court photographer that is :wink: ):
Der Führer verlieh auf Vorschlag des Oberbefehlshabers der Kriegsmarine dem Korvettenkapitän Heinrich Hoffmann, Chef einer Torbedobootsflottille im Kanal, für kühne und erfolgreiche Führung der ihm unterstellten Streitkräfte bei der Bekämpfung der feindlichen Landungsflotte das Ritterkreuz zum Eisernen Kreuz.
Source photo/quote: http://presentations.uib.no:7778/pls/po ... lues=12149

A description of Hoffmann's award winning action on June 6, 1944, D-Day...
0435 hrs : Gruppenkommando West orders reconnaissance patrols in the Baie de Seine with the 5th torpedo boats flottilla, the 15th patrol boats flottilla, the 38th minesweepers flottilla and, on each side of the cotentin pensinsula, the 5th and 9th speed boats flottilla.
Commander Heinrich HOFFMANN, commanding the 5th torpedo boats flottilla, leaves Le Havre with three boats: T28, Jaguar and Möwe.

0530 hrs : The three torpedo boats of Commander Heinrich HOFFMAN cross the artificial fog protecting the allied ships and emerges in front of the invasion fleet. HOFFMAN decides to attack immediatly, closing in despite the reaction of HMS Warspite and Ramillies.
The german flottila bore off and fired a salvo of 18 torpedos. The allied ships, taking evasive action, were able to avoid them except the Svenner, a norwegian destroyer, that was hit amidship and sunk instantly. The german flottila had already turned tail and disappeared in the fog.
Source qoute: http://www.6juin1944.com/en_journee.html

And finally the source for the Möwe picture: http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ ... index.html

Your turn again, Waleed!

Krollspell