trying to locate a LT. Robert Jackson who captured Goering

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
johnnyrocket

trying to locate a LT. Robert Jackson who captured Goering

Post by johnnyrocket »

I'm doing research on Herman Goerings captors in 1945. Please, if anyone out there know the where-abouts of a Lt. Robert Jackson (7th Army) who I beleive was the person who confiscated Goering's personel items after his capture. I'm especially interested in the history of th 3 rings Herman W. Goering had on his person, and what happened to those rings. I'm helping in the reasearch for a future book on this subject.

Thank you, for your time.

Steve
John W. Howard

US 36ID

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Johnny:
The US 36ID has an excellent web-site, complete with a message board. Robert Jackson was more than likely from the 36th. There should be some info on the site and you should be able to post for more. There is also a searchable roster, which should give you the home town of Jackson at the time he was in WWII. A home town would be a good place to start. Here is the link: http://www.kwanah.com/txmilmus/gallery/36div.htm Best wishes.
John W. Howard
johnnyrocket

Thanks for the info:

Post by johnnyrocket »

Thanks so much John, this helps me greatly.

Thanks again....Steve (aka Johnny Rocket)
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Richard Overy wrote a book called "Goering: The Iron Man" that might mention it. There is also an upcoming book by Lester Leggett called "To Zell and Back" which is about Goering's capture. (Leggett was a LT in the 36th Infantry Division who participated in the event.) Either one of these may have more information.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
John W. Howard

Hermann

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Johnny and Patrick:
You are welcome to the info Johnny!! I just hope Jackson was from the 36ID and not from the 7th Army Staff or something like that. Thanks for the info Patrick; I was unaware of the new book. My father fought with the 36ID, so it should be most interesting to me. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
jtrowbridge5

goering

Post by jtrowbridge5 »

johnnyrocket
In about 1950 my father was owed a lot of money by a horse racing gambler as he had no money, he gave my dad as part payment a watch his son brought back from Germany[ he was a prison guard].
the watch was solid silver if I remember it was massive in size about 2 inches in diameter the inscription translated said to Herman Goering from Adolf Hitler, unfortunately my dad also got short of cash and pawned it in a shop in Bristol city centre, it took him a long time to save the money to redeem it, but by then the pawnbroker had sold it on.
regards dennis