Commander of the Finnish 7th Division Aug '43 to Jan '44

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Mikko
Supporter

Commander of the Finnish 7th Division Aug '43 to Jan '44

Post by Mikko »

About a year ago I compiled a list of Finnish division commanders of the Winter and Continuation War. I'm now returning to that list (it's my intention to add the brigade and corps commanders), but first there's one lacuna in the list of division CO's to fill.

My only source to give exact dates ('Itsenäisen Suomen kenraalikunta' -- suggestion for other sources are welcome!) states that kenraalimajuri Antero Svensson was the CO of the 7th Division until August 1943, and kenraalimajuri Selim Isaksson from January 1944 on. But who was the CO between August 1943 and January 1944? I've checked a number of sources ('Jatkosodan historia' included), but haven't been able to find the answer. Or is there an error in my sources?

This one has pretty much stumped me, so all suggestions are welcome!
Juha Hujanen
Supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen »

Hi Mikko.In Mauno Kuosa's book-Jalkaväkirykmentti 30 1941-1945 is following lines:

"We had a theatre show 10.10.43 and deputy of Divisions commander Colonel W.Häkli was also present..."

"Deputy of Divisions commander Colonel W.Häkli inspected Regiments positions in 19-20.1.44..."

So it looks like Colonel W.Häkli was deputy commander of 7th Infantry Division during that time.IR 30 was ofcourse part of 7th as you propably already knew.

Cheers/Juha

Ps.Why i have unit history of IR 30 in my bookshelf?.Well my granfather served in that unit :wink:
Karhufin
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Many thanks Juha! One further question -- was Häkli in Finnish terms väliaikainen (temporary) or virkaatoimittava (acting) CO?

Oh well, now that I know the name, I can check for myself.
Juha Hujanen
Supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen »

You're welcome Mikko.He was viransijainen.

Cheers/Juha
Karhufin
Mikko
Supporter

Post by Mikko »

Juha, again, many thanks!