1) 5.SS 'Wiking' and 4.SS Brigade 'Nederland'
2) Felix Steiner and Paul Hausser
3) Gerardus Mooyman and Michael Wittmann
4) Narwa, Berlin
5) Nope
Ethelian

Post by Ethelian »

Hey Mark:)

1) What are your 1 or 2 favorite units or non Waffen-SS topics with the SS as a whole ?

the !st,the 2nd and the 5th SS Div

2) Who are your 1-2 favorite division or corps commanders ?

Bittrich and Peiper,if he counts

3) Who are your favorite 1 or 2 Knight's Cross holders ?

Wittmann, Otto Weidinger and Ernst Krag

4) What Waffen-SS involved battle or campaign interests you most ?

Kursk,The korsun/Cherkassy pocket and the third battle of Kharkov

5) Do we have any modelers or minature figure painters ?

I model 1/35th scale replica tanks,when i can find the time.
Christian
Patron

Poll

Post by Christian »

1) 2. SS Pz.Div. "Das Reich"

2) None in particular.

3) Interested in Eberhardt Telkamp as my father's Pionier unit provided tank support for him in January 1945.

4) Südabschnitt 1943-1944 and Western Front 1944-1945.
MG42
Supporter

Post by MG42 »

1. 2nd "Das Reich" and 12th "Hitlerjugend" also fascinated by SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger (Cruel Hunters by French MacLean is an excellent resource on this Div.)
2. Kurt Meyer, Oskar Dirlewanger, Fritz Witt
3. Ernst Barkmann (well who wouldn't pick him :) ) and Gerardes Mooyman ( The Tankhunter).
4. Defence of Calais, Defence of Berlin and all Eastern Front conflict
5. Used to but it was a loooong time ago and I could never aspire to the level of most "pros"

Regards
Harv.
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

1. Das Reich and Totenkopf
2. K Meyer and Walter Krueger
3. O Weidinger and P Hausser
4. Kharkov 43 and Mius 43
5. Some 35mm

Mike
Mitch Kelly

Post by Mitch Kelly »

As a basis for other forum readers, we'd all be curious:

1) What are your 1 or 2 favorite units or non Waffen-SS topics with the SS as a whole ?
Probably foreign volunteers and special units (Jagdkommando etc), although the Panzer and cavalry units would get high scores

Steiner certainly, Hausser too.

Panzermeyer, Wunsche, perhaps

Ardennes (family involvement) and the actions in Hungary 1944

Certainly - 1/35 or 54mm figures. Used to do tanks but the space overhead is a killer!

Mitch
Gary Oglesbee

Post by Gary Oglesbee »

My favorite SS unit is the 13th SS Handschar. I have an interest in Gebirgsjager units, and I re-enact Heer Gebirgs at WW2 events.
John M. Donovan

W-SS Interests...

Post by John M. Donovan »

Hello All,

1.) LAH + HJ Div.
2.) Teddy Wisch + Kurt Meyer
3.) Werner Poetschke and Max Wuensche
4.) Normandy Battles and the "Bulge"
5.) Not here :)
lennardg
Supporter

Poll

Post by lennardg »

1) Totenkopf and Wiking
2) Eicke and Gille (the former because of notoriority, not skill)
3) Hans Dorr (that´s a badass...) and Viggo Christophersen (danish volunteer in Nordland division)
4) Hungary 1945
5) I used to model intensely when I was a boy, actually I´ve been trying for some time to revive my interest by building a 1/35 SdKfz 234/1 (italieri kit), those masters at http://www.missing-lynx.com[/url] really impressed me, and I think the Pz.aufkl. abteilungen are most interesting.
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

SS/Polizei Interests

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Primary interest- Biographical research covering all elements of the Waffen-SS, Allgemeine-SS, and Deutschen Polizei. Main SS topic of interest- the men, offices, and formations of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt and Ordnungspolizei.

Divisional: Heinz Harmel, as in addition to courage and leadership skills he showed a genuine sense of commitment to the well-being of his men (the most important quality in any commander, I believe). Corps/Army: Felix Steiner.

Remy Schrijnen- one of the greatest stories of courage and dedication to duty I've ever read.

Anti-partisan operations (in which Waffen-SS as well as other SS/Polizei units were involved), notably throughout Russia, the Balkans ("Prinz Eugen", "Handschar", etc.), and Poland (Warsaw Ghetto, Apr./May 1943 and Warsaw proper, Autumn 1944).

Used to build dioramas featuring MRC/Tamiya Panzers, figurines of German soldiers, etc. as a kid- built an entire Russian village in a dirt field behind my house, complete with tanks, artillery pieces, civilian refugees, barbed wire entanglements, houses made of painted cardboard; for the grand finale, set corners of the houses afire and invaded the village with Pzkpfw IV's and III's. I was a weird kid.
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I don't have answers to all of the posted questions, but two areas I have always been very interested are the 6.SS-Gebirgs-Division in Finland and in those unit that took part in riverine patrol operations in the Crimea and on the southern portion of the Russin front. I also find the story of the 3.SS in the Demjansk Pocket to be very interesting. I used to model when I was very young but never anything WWII related. I have a great respect for those with the skill and determination to create wonderfully detailed WWII German dioramas. Some I have seen a very spectacular.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

1. Favorite units : Nordland and Nederland. And parent Wiking, of course.

2. Joachim Zeigler and Matthias Kleinheisterkamp both seem to be extemely dedicated and talented commanders who have received little recognition.

3. Harald Nugiseks' wartime bravery is well documented, and I am happy that he is now an inspiration to a new generation of Estonians. I admire Hermann Buchner as a man who excelled through years of the heaviest fighting, until he was at last mortally wounded near Modlin in November 1944. There are several dozen additional men whom I very highly respect as soldiers.

4. After years of studay, I'm still fascinated with the Baltic campaign of the III.(germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps between December 1943 and May 1945, and by the Budapest/Hungarian campaign involving the IX. Waffen-Gebirgskorps, IV. SS-Panzerkorps and 6. SS-Panzerarmee between December 1944 and March 1945.

5. I built and painted 1/35 scale tanks when I was a kid, and I still have a King Tiger and Hetzer on my mantle.
Chris
Supporter

My subjects...

Post by Chris »

1) What are your 1 or 2 favorite units or non Waffen-SS topics with the SS as a whole ? 11. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Nordland" and 5. SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking".

2) Who are your 1-2 favorite division or corps commanders ? Gruppenführer Fritz von Scholz and Obergruppenführer Felix Steiner

3) Who are your favorite 1 or 2 Knight's Cross holders ? Johannes Hellmers and Eberhard Heder.

4) What Waffen-SS involved battle or campaign interests you most ? Narwa (Baltic/Kurland) and Berlin.

Chris
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

1) My two favorite Waffen-SS formations are LSSAH and Wiking.

2) Felix Steiner and Willi Bittrich

3) Max Wunsche and Jochen Peiper

4) Kursk and Ardennes

5) Yes, 1/100th, 1/72nd, and 1/35th
Max Wunderlich
Noel Petroni
Supporter

Post by Noel Petroni »

1) Das Reich & LSSAH

2) Meyer & Peiper

3) Meyer & Peiper

4) Kursk - Karkov - Ardennes