An idea how to prevent fake/spam members...

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

An idea how to prevent fake/spam members...

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello fellow Forum members!

About the resent onslaught with mainly russian spam members... I just had a thought of how to prevent idiot spammers to join as "false" members. Since it's perfectly possible to visit the Feldgrau Forum and view all the different posts and replies without logging in, it means that you don't have to be a member to "discover" and read all the posts in the Forum.

My suggestion is as follows... In order to join the Forum as a member, you have to make one (1) post or reply within 24 hours from the time you became a member... Otherwise, you membership is automatically cancelled! Naturally, you would be able to join again, and then post within 24 hours...

With this kind of rules or precedure it would be possible to avoid "members" of that kind, I don't know if this is technically possible to automize within the Forum program since I'm not that good with programming...

I know that this is up to Jason Pipes, and if he wants this kind of members that contributes nil, well so be it. I think this situation may potentially ruin this great Site and Forum.

And by the way, here's what idiot "member" johnw654 is giving to this Forum:

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#120138

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ht=#120139

I no it's not my problem or business but I just can't avoid being really upset/pissed about the present state...

Am I the only one?

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Herr Doktor, I feel your pain, but I see a problem with that theory. If spammers need to post to join, that all but guarantees more foolish posts, doesn't it?

Now, if we could come up with some sort of reverse, controlled power surge...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Point taken, Tom. Well, I've done my part in trying to react to the present situation, both by posting and via PM... Hopefully Jason will do some major deleting in the future.

Thanks for the response and support!

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

You can't keep them from joining, Jason will just have to ban them all.
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Are these guys actually joining the board themselves, or using some sort of bot? Because theres an option in phpBB where you can have potential new users enter an ever changing code into their reg form. Think it was made to combat problems similar to this.

Cheers,
Jock