3. SS-Division Totenkopf

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Brian67
Banned

3. SS-Division Totenkopf

Post by Brian67 »

Can somebody of you tell me, which grade the man in the middle has? Or knows somebody his name?
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
awaygood
Supporter

Man in the Photograph

Post by awaygood »

With the introduction of army-style shoulder-straps which indicated rank, it appears to have been the wish of the Reichsfuhrer-SS Himmler to introduce matching collar patches. Accordingly, matching collar patches were introduced for a limited time, and there are photographs individuals wearing of matching Totenkopf collar-patches (seemingly the most common), various sig-rune (including mirror image versions) collar-patches, and tyr-rune collar-patches. So, what you see here is a member of a Totenkopf (possibly Totenkopfverband ?) formation wearing matching collar-patches. His shoulder-straps appear to be flat braid, bearing two stars or pips, which indicates that he is an Obersturmfuhrer -equivalent to an army Hauptmann or captain. The chevron is not a rank badge, but an award for being an 'old campaigner' of the Nazi party.
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

Further to my earlier response, I meant 'odal' rune, and not 'tyr' rune -as an example of SS collar-patches sometimes seen as matching pairs. The 'odal' rune was the insignia of the Waffen-SS 'Prinz Eugen' mountain division.
Helmut
Patron

Re: Man in the Photograph

Post by Helmut »

awaygood wrote: ... which indicates that he is an Obersturmfuhrer -equivalent to an army Hauptmann or captain. The chevron is not a rank badge, but an award for being an 'old campaigner' of the Nazi party.
An Obersturmfuehrer is an Oberleutneant, or 1st Lieutenant, not a Captain.

Regards,

Helmut
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

You're quite right -I should have said 'hauptsturmfuhrer', not 'oberturmfuhrer'!