German Scientists

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
German_Scientist

German Scientists

Post by German_Scientist »

Poop :shock:
Hello all, can someone give me information on german scientists that possibly was involved in combat during WWII and also worked on diferent axis prototypes?
Turkmenistan

Post by Turkmenistan »

:( Sorry chap, I do not know any information pertaining to that subject, but I am sure there are some smart fellows here at feldgrau, that can help you with this subject.
JKS

Scientists had no preferential treatments.

Post by JKS »

Just to mention one top scientist Heisenbert, top man of the German Bomb project. He completed like all Germans his military call prior to the start of the war. He served in a Gebirgsjaeger regiment as a common soldier. He loved it as he loved hiking and nature. He once told an scientific magazine editor that his Ehrendienst is “mountaineering complicated by the presence of sergants”. He expected to be called for active duty on Septermber IV 1939 for active duty, while he was a professor at the University in Munich, he had no military rank. On October VIII he was called to report to the War Office in Berlin, who had other plans for him.
I personally know of Phd’s who served in the ranks less than Unteroffizier, at their choice.
It might interest you that all the brains of the Manhattan Project were 4F, rejects for physiological reasons. Of course their personal physician determained this status, not a medical army recruiting officer.
This may be one of your answers.
Jochen
coldam

re scientists

Post by coldam »

hi,

In 1998 I was tracked down by a cousin
whom I hadn't known until then, who was doing family research.

It turns out that my fathers younger cousin
had done his doctorate in nuclear physics
with Lise Meitner and Otto Hahn.

I met him my father's cousin, he was 84 at the time,
a nice guy.
he died a year ago.

I never found out whether he did any
work on the German nuke program
or WHAT he did in WW2.

I tried google, to no avail.

If anyone has heard of
nuclear physicist
Karl Kittel

- PLEASE let me know!

thanks,

...peter
JKS

Post by JKS »

Hi Peter,
I checked my info and checked Thomas Powers -Heisenberg's War- and other resources, Karl Kittel is not mentioned anywhere. This does not mean that he did not work on any of the many projects that Germany was working on. Many of the scientists were grouped incognita to avoid kidnapping or being bumped off by the communist underground, etc. Check with the Max Plank Scientific community, they will give you more details.
I apologize for misspelling Heisenberg in my previous post. He deserves better.
Jochen
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

I may be wrong, but Karl Kittel somehow sounds like a fake name. He may had a sencond name, something like Karl Friedrich Kittel or so.