Atrocities of the Waffen -SS during the aid operation to Budapest?

Objective research on factual information regarding German military related warcrimes.
Bagaudas

Atrocities of the Waffen -SS during the aid operation to Budapest?

Post by Bagaudas »

In several books I have read about the Soviet atrocities in the Budapest area, during the combats to aid the besieged garrison. Initially, it made me think that, apart from the war incidents, like the two Russian envoys and their companions, except that I reiterate that they had not committed any atrocities. In particular, the incident of the war was argued by the Soviet propaganda to inflame the naval and the units against the Nazi enemy, but they always left in doubt who was really the cause of the death of the two emissaries.

Some time ago, I read a book that was on a list by date of interesting facts that had occurred on the Eastern Front and in the West. Unfortunately, I do not remember the author, but there were three books that briefly analyzed the history of the Second World War. One of the events, indirectly related to the struggle in Hungary, alluded to the massacre of 500 Soviet prisoners who were executed with an ax upon reaching the concentration camp in Mauthausen, which happened by the author on January 20, 1945. Of all Apart from that fact, the alleged German units had behaved honorably in combat, that is, there would be summary executions of prisoners, and much less massacres of prisoners or civilians.

Reading on the one hand the book of "Wiking" Peter Strassner, as the book "Siege of Budapest" Krisztián Ungváry, the book "Totenkopf" Charles Trang, and a book more than the previous one. It is discovered that the truth is often different depending on the narrator. In some books reference is made to the harshness and brutality of the Soviet units, in particular to the Waffen-SS captured personnel units. And yes, that happened, and not only the personnel of the German units, but also fighters Hungarian units, especially if they had fought with force against the Soviet units, and also in other cases, as with the Kampfgruppe fighters "Vannay". And then there was the issue of the indiscriminate rape of women by combatants of the Soviet units. Which, even though the truth hurts is true.

But in spite of the barbaric acts committed by the Soviet units, the German units also executed them. One of the first acts of atrocities possible units of "Totenkopf" occurred in its advance northwest of Budapest in early January 1945. Charles Trang mentions in his book "Totenkopf" resistance to the civilian population of the city of Sarisap made against units of the Waffen -SS that were trying to retake it. According to Trang, it was because the majority of the population was of Czech origin, they were anti-German, and they hated the Germans for having occupied their country of origin. After taking the city, the population, will be, in Mr. Trang's terms, "evacuated". It would apply the famous slogan "Night and Fog", disappearing from the face of the earth all its occupants. You would never know most of them.

Apart from this case, I read an interesting article that does a lot, although I think it could be part of the Soviet propaganda. However, it was pretty well complemented by vintage photographs. It is relative to the massacre of 39 Soviet soldiers in the city of Vereb, Fejer county, southwest of Budapest.

http://waralbum.ru/bb/viewtopic.php?id=569

The Hungarian towns of Vereb, Pázmánd and Pettend were the scene of one of the most violent armored battles of the end of the war.

On the night of January 25, 1945, approximately 50-60 tanks in several armored units, among which were the 3rd Panzer Division of the SS "Totenkopf", 5 SS Panzer Division "Wiking" and one Panzerdivision attempted to feed directly to the Soviets on the defensive. lines southwest of Budapest. The units "Wiking" and "Totenkopf" had tried it the previous days and only one of them, the "Totenkopf" Vali, managed to cross the river, one of the biggest obstacles they faced. The remaining units were paralyzed by counterattacks by units of the 5th Cavalry Corps of the Soviet Guard, Soviet Hunters of the 104th Corps and 1st Mechanized Guards Corps. Only, as I say one of the units, the "Totenkopf" was able to keep a small bridgehead in the city of Baracska for a few days.

Consequently, the German command decided to try one last effort advancing several armored units towards Vali, and to break the Soviet lines like this, sought to eliminate the Soviet opposition in the Zamoly sector, and then try to advance Budapest. The offensive operation was just over 26 kilometers from Budapest. The units were exhausted after several days of incessant struggle with the Soviet units. The problem was that the Soviet units had enormous material resources. This was not what happened on the German side. Even so, the German armored units tried to break the Russian lines. First Pázmánd would resume later directing the German units of the Vereb sector. The locations of Vereb and Pazmand would be resumed almost immediately. Subsequently, the Russian units advanced towards Stühlweissenburg, taking back all lost ground.