Russian soldiers demobilized

Objective research on factual information regarding German military related warcrimes.
geneo2556

Russian soldiers demobilized

Post by geneo2556 »

There have been sufficient histories of how the Russian soldiers acted towards anyone they considered enemies or easy prey during and after the war; I am wondering if anyone has any information (hopefully a book), about how these former soldiers acted after being demobilized and sent back to russia. After having seen and participated in all kinds of horror, I would imagine that once back home, adjustment would not be easy. Our troops had post traumatic syndrome (not called that back then), and generally did not see anywhere near the brutality that the Russian troops had seen.
I am thinking that after bragging about their exploits back on the Kolkholz, they probably hit the vodka twice as hard as before they left for the war, and brutalized their families, neighbors, etc. to the point that they may have had to be sentenced to 20 year terms for the crimes they committed.
Also, reading has shown that some of the Russian officers had acquired German girlfriends while stationed in Germany, but that they were often ratted out for associating with the enemy, and sent back to Russia, but I wonder if they were just stationed somewhere or charged with a crime and sent to a penal colony.
If I am throwing too many topics together, I apoligize; but I read that in some parts of Berlin especially, some Russian units took over a large section of the city for their own garrison after the war was over, and would not comply with orders from headquarters to return to the fold, but that pitched battles occurred when the Russian authorities tried to enforce their behavior.

Again, if any books are available on these matters, I would be happy to receive any information about that. Thanks.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Russian soldiers demobilized

Post by phylo_roadking »

Closing thread - the War Crime Sections deals with war crimes commited by the Wehrmacht.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds