A Geman soldier removes his helmet

Objective research on factual information regarding German military related warcrimes.
panzermahn
Associate

Re: A Geman soldier removes his helmet

Post by panzermahn »

Schultz wrote:Hello did some looking around and found this it was a real incident there are 2 monuments to joseph schultz.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... 493&page=5

There are more photos and eyewitness video.

Schultz
Hi all,

Another photo from a different angle which I took the snapshot from the abovementioned link towards the YouTube video

ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

ghp95134 wrote:...The right front might be Ustuf Nauman, but the officer who held the sword is none other than (I firmly believe) Hstuf Ziegler. There is a photo in Marc Rikmenspoel's book,...
My mistake -- the photo comes from page 133 of Gordon Williamson's book, The SS: Hitler's Instruments of War:
ImageImage

Note Hstuf. Ziegler's (Finnish) Frontkämpfer badge on the lower portion of his left breast pocket. What is the actual name of this badge?

--Guy Power
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

ghp95134 wrote:
ghp95134 wrote:...Note Hstuf. Ziegler's (Finnish) Frontkämpfer badge on the lower portion of his left breast pocket. What is the actual name of this badge?
Found the answer myself: Frontkjempermerket
See HERE for more information.

--Guy Power
Ernst

Post by Ernst »

Hi All, my first post of what I hope to be many.

There were many instances such as the one referenced early in this thread.

I specifically recall 2 cases from the Dirlewanger group,where both soldiers who refused were put to death,referenced in French MacLean's work.
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Ziegler gor the norwegian frontfighter badge for his service in the Norwegian Legion.
So no finnish award.

B.
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

Björn wrote:Hello!
Ziegler gor the norwegian frontfighter badge for his service in the Norwegian Legion.
So no finnish award.
Björn,

Thanks for the correction. I note that it is the same badge I linked to above, but which I incorrectly attributed to being "Finnish."

I found another image:

The Norwegian "Frontkjemper" Front-Fighter badge shown on the left was instituted in October 1943, by Vidkun Quisling and awarded for bravery to Waffen-SS Norwegian legionnaires and German cadre who saw action on the Eastern Front from 1941 to 1945.
This badge was made by the Oslo firm "Holmsen" and was issued in one class only, silver. Aksel Holmsen was a very famous Norwegian silversmith and designer.

The badge shows a Nordic warrior holding a shield and drawn sword, and standing in an archway, which bore the lettering "FRONT KJEMPER" (Front Fighter) in pseudo runic script. There exist two types of Front-Fighters badge. The first type is a silver version, high quality badge with sharp details. The early type badge has a twisted "M" in "frontkjeMper" later these badges had the "M" shape into a normal look.

On the reverse it shows in the center the convex shape of the shield and just below it a serial number either "830" or "830S," which is the silver content. However, originals should have the "830S" silver content and the Norwegian symbol "W" (maker's mark) on the bottom right side of the badge as illustrated. There is also period made badges with the silver content "830S" and "935" shown on the reverse center just below the shield. The needle should be thin and have a good small hinge. The catch is also thin and looks like a "C." These silver badges should have a nice patina in the deepest areas of the relief.

Recent information has surface about a former employee of Holmsen that made in the late 40's and early 50's, zinc and silver badges for veterans that lost their awards. The gray zinc types are post productions. The reverse is plain and flat. The pin is thicker made of steel treated with gun metal backing and it is held by a rectangular hinge and a thicker catch. Some zinc and silver badges have the mechanical type catch, which locks the pin in place. The silver post production types have a German style catch and pin on the reverse and silver content "830." The badge was also awarded to nurses who served on the Eastern Front. A small miniature version was issued for veterans to wear on civilian clothes.

Source: HERE
Thanks again,
--Guy Power
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

(I can't help thinking...it's Noggin the Nog!!! :shock: )
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds