Crimes of kreta

Objective research on factual information regarding German military related warcrimes.
tixodioktis
Supporter

Crimes of kreta

Post by tixodioktis »

Kondomari 31.Mai 1941 part 1

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

This thread you called crimes of Kreta?

Would you please explain?
Annelie

Kondomari 31.Mai 1941 part 2

Post by tixodioktis »

Kondomari 31.Mai 1941 part 2

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Ah, I see. I also see that you have been on every forum
posting about the same theme.

I am always interested in learning however, you seem to have
a special objective?

My Father was stationed in Kreta from 43 to capitulation
He was not involved in any crimes in fact he married
an Greek from Athens. He and others he knew always
tried in their way to be helpful so please make sure you
direct the crimes to those that are responsible and not
to all Germans that were in Kreta.
Annelie

The first common implementation in Europe became in the vil

Post by tixodioktis »

As early as June, 1941 the town of Kondomari, Crete was burned to the ground and the men executed as a reprisal for their defense of the island against Nazi paratroopers. As the frustration of the occupying power grows, these acts are more common, eventually becoming an epidemic of violence against the rural population.
tixodioktis
Supporter

Re: The first common implementation in Europe became in the

Post by tixodioktis »

tixodioktis wrote:As early as June, 1941 the town of Kondomari, Crete was burned to the ground and the men executed as a reprisal for their defense of the island against Nazi paratroopers. As the frustration of the occupying power grows, these acts are more common, eventually becoming an epidemic of violence against the rural population.
You have right and him I understand
as you see I report the day the month and the chronology
The implementation him it made the parachutists of III Battalion of assault
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

tixodioktis
Supporter

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:35 am Post subject: Re: Looking for WWII veterans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for WWII veterans

Hello everybody,

I was born in sixties in Greece, a country where took place some important part of the World War two and since my childhood I was very interested to hear stories about what happened then. Unfortunately my grandfather killed during that war and as a child I couldn't have "my own veteran" telling me stories about then.
My interesting about true stories told by veterans is still the same as when I was 12 but now I am enough mature to see that it's not so important who were "us" and who were "they". Now I am more open minded and "thirsty" to hear what they remember warriors from all sides.
As Internet helps to communicate people from every part of the world I send this message to say that I would be grateful to anyone who could send me a true story told by a veteran about the WWII. Scanned photographs or other documents would be specially appreciated.

Best regards

Steve Stavropoulos
Greece

So Steve, since 2005 you have learned much then?
Do you still wish to hear true stories from a WWII Veteran?
I am enough mature to see that it's not so important who were "us" and who were "they". Now I am more open minded and "thirsty" to hear what they remember warriors from all sides.
I certainly hope this still applies?
Annelie

Post by tixodioktis »

Here you can look at for destructions that were committed in all Crete

http://www.kreta-wiki.de/wiki/%C3%9Cberblick
tixodioktis
Supporter

Post by tixodioktis »

tixodioktis wrote:Here you can look at for destructions that were committed in all Crete

http://www.kreta-wiki.de/wiki/%C3%9Cberblick

And of course it is in effect in deed I have known the Milan Lorman
And I have searched for the region that was in Greece
and continue my researches
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27839

for the implementation that I report in the village
the Milan Lorman does not have no mixture
tixodioktis
Supporter

Post by tixodioktis »

Annelie wrote:
tixodioktis
Supporter

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:35 am Post subject: Re: Looking for WWII veterans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for WWII veterans

Hello everybody,

I was born in sixties in Greece, a country where took place some important part of the World War two and since my childhood I was very interested to hear stories about what happened then. Unfortunately my grandfather killed during that war and as a child I couldn't have "my own veteran" telling me stories about then.
My interesting about true stories told by veterans is still the same as when I was 12 but now I am enough mature to see that it's not so important who were "us" and who were "they". Now I am more open minded and "thirsty" to hear what they remember warriors from all sides.
As Internet helps to communicate people from every part of the world I send this message to say that I would be grateful to anyone who could send me a true story told by a veteran about the WWII. Scanned photographs or other documents would be specially appreciated.

Best regards

Steve Stavropoulos
Greece

So Steve, since 2005 you have learned much then?
Do you still wish to hear true stories from a WWII Veteran?
I am enough mature to see that it's not so important who were "us" and who were "they". Now I am more open minded and "thirsty" to hear what they remember warriors from all sides.
I certainly hope this still applies?

And of course it is in effect in deed I have known the Milan Lorman
And I have searched for the region that was in Greece
and continue my researches
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27839

for the implementation that I report in the village
the Milan Lorman does not have no mixture
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

These are quite shocking images for people who are not used to seeing such things. However, I believe that an Allied court of inquiry decided that the execution of the men in this series of photographs was justified and did not constitute a war crime. I am not defending German behaviour in Greece in general during the occupation but it must be said that the Cretan militiamen and other irregulars killed and tortured German prisoners with singular brutality. I have listened to Cretans trying to excuse this as a cultural thing but the people of north-western Europe are also guided by cultural instincts and tend to react very badly when finding comrades tortured to death in grotesque ways. At least the men in these photos were killed in a relatively clean way.

PK
tixodioktis
Supporter

Post by tixodioktis »

Paddy Keating wrote:These are quite shocking images for people who are not used to seeing such things. However, I believe that an Allied court of inquiry decided that the execution of the men in this series of photographs was justified and did not constitute a war crime. I am not defending German behaviour in Greece in general during the occupation but it must be said that the Cretan militiamen and other irregulars killed and tortured German prisoners with singular brutality. I have listened to Cretans trying to excuse this as a cultural thing but the people of north-western Europe are also guided by cultural instincts and tend to react very badly when finding comrades tortured to death in grotesque ways. At least the men in these photos were killed in a relatively clean way.

PK
You can look at the locality of article

http://www.kreta-wiki.de/wiki/Kondomari
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

double post
Last edited by Paddy Keating on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Wikipedia is not really a reliable source of information. Mind you, it is true that Student stated: "Als Reaktion auf den Widerstand der kretischen Bevölkerung gegen die deutsche Invasion erließ Generaloberst Student am 31.Mai 1941 einen Befehl zu Vergeltungsmaßnahmen: „Es kommt nun darauf an, alle Maßnahmen mit größter Beschleunigung durchzuführen, unter Beiseitelassung aller Formalien und unter bewußter Ausschaltung von besonderen Gerichten. Bei der ganzen Sachlage ist dies Sache der Truppe und nicht von ordentlichen Gerichten. Sie kommen für Bestien und Mörder nicht in Frage."

And postwar tribunals set up by the Allies to look into German misconduct during the occupation of Crete appear to have agreed with the sentiments expressed by Student. Nevertheless, Bruno Brauer was executed on 20.5.1947 by the Greeks although this related more to his time as military governor on the island later in the war then to the invasion in May 1941, when he was CO of I./Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 1. Brauer was held responsible for the deaths of more than 3,000 Cretans amongst other things.

Many impartial people contend that Bruno Brauer was subjected to a show trial in Athens for political reasons. Brauer became military governor of Crete in November 1942 and was noted for his efforts to encourage German occupation forces to treat Cretan civilians with respect, members of the resistance aside. On 25.3.1943, the Greek national holiday, he ordered the release of a hundred prisoners, one of whom was the future Premier of Greece, Constantinos Mitsokakis. He was known his men and to the majority of law-abiding civilian as hard but scrupulously fair. Mitsokakis later spoke favourably of Brauer, saying that he clearly did not believe in Hitler's vision of the Final Victory. The death sentence handed down to Brauer was not by any means universally popular in Greece, especially as Brauer's predecessor, Andrae, was far more guilty of the general charges but received life imprisonment. However, the worst was Friedrich-Wilhelm Müller, who had replaced Brauer in August 1944 and was executed on the same day as Brauer.

When the Bund Deutscher Fallschirmjäger requested that Brauer be reinterred in the military cemetery near Hill 107, George Psychoundakis himself supervised the burial. As for Kondomeri, some of the men executed by the Fallschirmjäger in May and June 1941 probably did not deserve such an end but some of them certainly did deserve it. The burning of the town was, however, excessive. But soldiers tend not to be very charitable towards civilians in areas where irregular combattants, aided by the civilian population, murder their comrades in bestial ways. Given the Cretan women have traditionally taken in torturing foreign men to death, the women of Kondomeri were probably fortunate not to have been burned alive inside their houses, which happened as a matter of course on the Eastern Front. I do not know what the population of Kondomeri was on 2.6.1941 but it must have been at least a couple of hundred people so the shooting of nineteen men of military age, identified by witnesses as part of the mob that tortured German paratroopers to death, hardly constitutes a "massacre", much less a "war crime".

PK

PK
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Deleted.
Last edited by Annelie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annelie