Feldgrau Author: Scott Revell

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Feldgrau Author: Scott Revell

Post by John P. Moore »

Scott Revell's new book, "Retake Arnhem Bridge", was published last month by Robert N. Sigmond Publishing in Holland. Scott is a former signal officer in the Australian Army, a graduate of Australia's Sandhurst equivalent who I have known for a number of years. Scott’s research for this book has been extensive, having travelled from his home in Australia to the Arnhem battlefield as well as archives in Europe and the USA. More information about Scott and his research can be found on his most interesting Website, Defending Arnhem.

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/index.htm

Hopefully, Scott will now tell us a bit more about "Retake Arnhem Bridge" and how people can obtain a copy.

John
MadDog
Associate

Re: Feldgrau Author: Scott Revell

Post by MadDog »

I would love to find a US distributor. I emailed Scott a week ago but havnt heard back.

As of this morning Amazon said "out of stock" and abebooks found a single UK distributor, but I want to see if I can get it a little cheaper locally.

Mad Dog
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Hi all,

I have been a little offline this week with work. Had to fire a Project Manager Tuesday, had the National GM and Sales Manager come to town to sort out another issue and a number of deals came through.....so the daily Feldgrau ritual has not been met this week for me.

So firstly the book details:

Kampfgruppe Knaust in Wehrkreis VI consisted of 4 Panzergrenadier Kompanien and 1 Panzer-Kompanie. The men and armoured vehicles for the Panzer-Kompanie came from Panzer-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 11 which was based in Bielefeld. One of the soldiers who was in this company was Karl-Heinz Kaebel (Kracht). During the time in which he served in this company he had the opportunity to take many photographs. This book is the history of the Kampfgruppe Knaust using these photographs as a foundation. After Karl-Heinz Kaebel (Kracht) finished his training he went with his unit to Arnhem and was involved in the battle on the eastern side for the Rijn bridge. As soon as the bridge was in German hands again the Kampfgruppe went to Elst, in the Betuwe, to try and stop the Allied advance to Arnhem. Enclosed in each book a full colour reprint of 'Sonderausgabe Nr 3, stand 1940; 40 West, Arnhem (map 52 x 40 cm) as produced by the German Army Headquarters. This is a beautifully produced history, notable not only for the superb and very rare photographs but also for the erudite text which provides a complete account of this unit's famous actions

One thing I have learnt from this process is that the Authors concentrate on the content of the book (rightly so) but they do not think too much of what needs to be done post-publishing. Living in Australia it means it is easy for people in this country to get a copy of the book becuase I have 90 in my possession. Same with Europe as this is where the book was published. I think Mad Dog makes a valid point about the need for a distrbutor in the US. I am sure there are a number of forum members and avid researchers, militray history buffs etc who would like a copy. To buy a copy from Europe/Australia is costly from a postage perspective because the book is HC and 1.216kgs.

I will email the publisher to see what progress has been made on this front. I know he has been having chats with book dealers etc in both the US/Canada but dont know where it is up to.

Regarding Amazon.....the book is available on the UK Amazon site. Automatically I think the US site picks up the information located in the UK and then states "limited availability or out of stock". I think this is a bit confussing for the consumer. What is for certain that the book is available form the following places that I am aware of:

http://www.helion.co.uk/
http://www.paulmeekins.co.uk/
http://www.airbornemuseum.nl/language/en - Museum Bookshop
Bookshop - Meijer & Siegers, Oosterbeek
Myself in Australia.

Lastly want to acknowledge the people that helped and contributed to the book. Forum members such as John Moore and Martin Block (to only name a couple - there are more) really helped deliver a successful outcome with the book. So Thanks to all that helped!!!

I will keep everyone updated as more places come online. I am happy to offer a discount to forum members. This will help to reduce costs especially if shipping to US etc.

Thanks

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Last week I received, direct from Scott Revell, the book "Retake Arnhem Bridge". In one word: the book is EXCELLENT. It is a top quality publication, very well researched and written with good photos.

The book is obviously based on the battles around Arnhem in 1944, but what makes it special is that it is based on one mans experiences and photo album (eg: service in the RAD, service in a training unit which is then sent to Arnhem, etc). However the book is even more than that. It gives a very good history of Kampfgruppe Knaust and it's commander and also the many units and unit commanders of the II SS Panzer Korps during this critical period of the war.

This book is a must have for anyone interested in the Battle of Arnhem / Western Front / Waffen-SS. I very highly recommend it.
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Scott- I finally finished reading the book. Very nice work indeed! I particularly enjoyed the aerial imagery of the bridge area and the period photos of Arnhem as I am a big believer in the concept of “visualizing the battlefield.” Given this day and age, I do not know why publishers will put out books on battles without using extensive maps/imagery.

Your book is proof that there is always something new that can be added to already broad bibliography of the Normandy, Arnhem, and Ardennes battles of the Western Front.

Cheers,
Stephan
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Thanks Stephan for the kind words and feedback.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Hi all,

News just in of my next book (‘Arnhem A Few Vital Hours’) which is ready for publication and will be available from the 22nd June 2013. The synopsis is as follows:

This book concentrates on a German unit which played a major role in fighting the 1st British Airborne Division in September 1944. This unit was the SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Bataillon 16 or to give it an English ‘name’: the SS-Panzer Grenadier Training and Replacement Battalion 16. This unit was, as it name suggests, a training unit and mainly consisted
of 17 and 18 year olds recruits led by veterans who had all seen active service and were getting them ready for the front line.
It was commanded by SS-Sturmbannführer Krafft and consisted of around 300 officers and men. It had been located in the Arnhem area. By September 1944 the unit had been warned that it would be acting as an anti-airborne landings unit, should the expected assault come. On the 17th September 1944 the unit was quickly mobilised and for a ‘Few Vital Hours’ during the afternoon, it basically stopped the 1st Airborne Division in its tracks on their way towards Arnhem. This book covers these few vital hours in detail using veteran’s accounts, a diary Krafft wrote for Himmler in late 1944 and official reports. Later on in the fighting Krafft was given command of a ‘Kampfgruppe’ and their actions in and around the Oosterbeek perimeter are also included as well as the history of SS training in the Arnhem area; an analysis of the Krafft diary; casualties sustained by the unit and a summary of the war service of SS-Sturmbannführer Krafft.

ISBN: 978-90-812703-4-2
Hardback - 155 Pages - 14 Coloured Maps - 100 b&w Pictures - 30 Documents - Order of Battle
Will be available from these sellers:
http://www.helion.co.uk/
http://www.airbornemuseum.nl/language/en - Museum Bookshop
Bookshop - Meijer & Siegers, Oosterbeek

As usual for Australian customers I will be bringing about 50 books or so back with me.
Cost of book is estimated at - € 34,50 - £ 25.00.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Scott - I certainly look forward to reading your book. However, I wish it was more than 155 pages long. I would have liked to see 300 pages which I would have thought possible after the years of extensive research that I know you put into this project. I suspect it was a publisher deciion to limit the content though. Is this book going to appear simultaneously as an ebook. I know that it is not at all hard to do after seeing the results that an SS vet and retired university professor achieved this year.

John
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

John,

Thanks for your comments. It is only 13 pages less than Retake Arnhem Bridge but 155 pages in A4 is quite a bit compared to a lot of books that spit out 200-300 pages in A5. The amount of content was not restricted by the publisher...in fact the opposite. Initially the book was going to be A5 because there was a lack on content but some rework ,new information and a heap of photos discovered meant we could do the same size as Retake Arnhem Bridge. Regarding an ebook, that is a publishers decision which has not been discussed yet. This conversation is happening though when I catch up with him in Arnhem next month.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I finished reading my copy of the book today. The many years of extensive research that the authors put into this project was evident throughout. It's a great book and well-written with plenty of new original period photos and plenty of good maps. I thought that the authors did an excellent job of combining English and German words together in a very readable manner in contrast to some other authors who attempt to do so with the result that the text does not flow smoothly or looks strange thru excessive use of Italics. Other authors should examine the text structure used in this book and consider whether using some of Scott's style would improve their own publications. The book was enhanced by the tales from participants from both sides in this battle along with the in-depth examination of the careers of various Waffen-SS officers. I only wish that this book could have been a bit longer as I had the feeling of wanting to read more when I put the book down for the last time.

John
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Thanks John for your honest and wonderful feedback. I appreciate the assistance you provided me through your meticulous research with Waffen-SS officers. I am sure without this research, our book would not have been anywhere near a success as it has.

Kind regards

Scott
Revellations