Feldgrau Author: Tom Houlihan

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Feldgrau Author: Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Kriegsprache is a glossary of WWII German military and period specific words, phrases, and abbreviations. Over 7,000 abbreviations and more than 17,500 words and phrases have been collected to aid the student, historian, and researcher in translating and understanding German documents, letters, and reports from WWII.

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=68763

At the moment, the book is only available through that storefront. I am waiting for my ISBN to be assigned. Once that's been taken care of, and applied appropriately where needed in the book, it will be available through more channels.

This has taken almost four years of work. I've received assistance, guidance and support (moral and otherwise) from several members of this forum. I thank you for that.

While several people have read through it and recommended changes, any errors that are still there are mine alone. There shouldn't be too many left, but if there are, you guys will no doubt let me know!

For those of you who are thinking of writing a book, I have one recommendation. Don't let your first book be a reference book!

Enjoy!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Feldgrau Author: Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan »

As I've received a number of communications, I'd like to clear up some confusion.

Several people have visited that storefront, then asked me where they can get the book. If you were thinking of purchasing that book, there is a button labeled "Add Print to Cart" on the screen. That's Lulu's version of "Add to Cart."
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I want to welcome Tom to the Feldgrau Published Authors forum. I know that he has been working on this military dictionary for quite a few years and I am sure that it will prove to be highly useful to many researchers. Tom has at least one other book in the works on the SS "Nord" division that many are eagerly awaiting. I also believe that Tom's experience with print-on-demand publishing will be of great interest to many and I have asked him to prepare a separate thread on that topic.

John
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Tom - I'm interested in your book! Does this book also provide a translation into English of the abbreviation's meaning or does it just provide a German translation of the abbreviation?

This does seem like a book I can use as I am in the process of translating a huge chunk of H.Gr. Weichsel's War Diary right now and have come across a few abbreviations I could not reconcile through either my German-English Military Dictionary or my German map symbol guide.

Cheers,
Stephan
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Stephan H. wrote:Tom - I'm interested in your book! Does this book also provide a translation into English of the abbreviation's meaning or does it just provide a German translation of the abbreviation?
Stephan, the way I have it set up is the full word is listed with the abbreviation. You'll have to find the full word, but the definition and/or explanation is in English. For what you're saying, I believe this will be of assistance! (that's an honest assessment, not a shameless plug! :up: )
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Tom - It might be helpful to prospective buyers if you could post a jpg image of a sample page-

John
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I can try, John. However, until I figure out how to do it right, if folks go to that link, and click on the title link, it will bring up a preview. It shows the covers, and I think 4 or 5 of the interior pages.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I was able to view the first 12 pages of the book at the Lulu link and the layout is very good as are the definitions. I couldn't find any pictures though.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

No pictures. There might be an illustrated version in the future, if I can find the few hundred images (copyright free) that I'd need to do it right.

Some manner of illustration might have been nice, but it would have taken longer, made the book longer, thus pricier. One of my goals was to keep the price as low as I could, so that even our high school age Kameraden (and married guys) with allowances could afford it. There was a lot of mental give-and-take as I was working it up. I tried to fit the most information in the smallest package I could.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Tom Houlihan wrote:This has taken almost four years of work. I've received assistance, guidance and support (moral and otherwise) from several members of this forum. I thank you for that.
The thanks, mentioned above, are most gracious. But, I can attest to the fact that 99% of Tom's book came solely from his own hard work, tireless research, refusal to give up, and plain old Irish pigheadedness not to surrender when the going got tough !!

This book can be chalked up to Tom's "blood, sweat and tears" and "never say die" attitude.

Congratulations my friend !!

WELL DONE !!

John
Signed: "The Shadow"
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

Tom,

I received my copy of Kriegsprache today and have to say that it is an outstanding reference work! Your attention to detail shows throughout.

I wish I had this book two months ago as it might have saved me valuable time looking up arcane German military terms. To be honest, the book exceeds my expectations as you do offer a clear English definition for many of the words. The consolidated rank tables in the back will also be very helpful.

:up: :up: Two thumbs up!!

Cheers,
Stephan
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I thank you, Sir! In truth, I wish I had gotten it out about a year ago, but...

I'm glad you like it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

In response to John's suggestion, let's see if I can finally make this work?
Attachments
Kriegsprache page
Kriegsprache page
ks page.jpg (359.82 KiB) Viewed 15902 times
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Tom - Thanks for posting those images. It is clear to see how the layout and detail are impressive. I wonder if something like this exists for an English-Afgan military dictionary? If it does not, somebody could probably get a government contract and make a lot of money!

John
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

John P. Moore wrote: I wonder if something like this exists for an English-Afgan military dictionary? If it does not, somebody could probably get a government contract and make a lot of money!
Don't look at me! At least I can comprehend a little German. Not only that, I refuse to do another project like this!!! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us