Proof reading and reviewing

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Proof reading and reviewing

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Based on an idea thrown out by
Stephan H. wrote:Maybe Feldgrau might be able to offer a peer review service in the future? Different members might be on tap (voluntarily of course) to review certain books based on preference/theme and can be given a review copy. They read the book, provide feedback to the author, who in turn is given an opportunity to prepare a response and both are put out as a joint post? Stone & Stone offers a rating scheme and review component to their website, though I guess in the end is really no different then having a review posted on Amazon. Just some thoughts.
My initial thought is that this could combine proofreading with an initial review of the MS. This helps the author out with the MS, while giving the reviewer a chance to develop an opinion of the book. Granted, that won't help much with reviewing the final product, but it might be worth something.

Any other ideas?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
panzermahn
Associate

Re: Proof reading and reviewing

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Tom

It is a great idea to help authors to review their works especially before publication. I think most of authors wrote their book to cater to specific market and not for any ordinary layman, so it would be awesome if readers who had much interests in the particular topic could somehow gave some feedback/comments/thoughts on what they are looking for when they buy a book on the history of WW2.

I wouldn't mind to volunteer to help to review and proof reading if the authors would like some volunteers from Feldgrau to assist with proof reading and reviewing.

Maybe Jason could set up a list of volunteers available to the authors here in Feldgrau to assist with proof reading and reviewing. It would be great if any errors or any points that are debatable were encountered before going publication.

Joachim
markbg

Post by markbg »

What a good idea. I would also certainly like to volunteer should any be required. As a Lawyer I have a keen eye for detail!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

markbg wrote:As a Lawyer I have a keen eye for detail!
As a law enforcement officer, I SO want to make a comment, but I'll behave!! :D :wink:

Besides, there's a commissar that knows where I live.

Thanks for bumping this thread, though. I just did a read-through on most of an MS. It always helps when it's well-written. I sent one back to a guy, and told him he owed me a new red pen once. He took it well, though...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!